Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Life after death? Blue screen and explorer error

• Please log in to reply

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Got your message.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Is there a date prior to 9/23 but not the oldest in the list? If there is, try that one.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
If the registry restore fails we could try to reinstall Win98 over the top of your existing system. This often corrects errors and has the benefit of retaining saved files and programs.

Just to confirm - you cannot access any files or programs even in safe mode - correct?

Did you download a Boot Disk from here? http://freepctech.co.../files010.shtml

Insert CD in the drive
Boot from a win98 startup floppy
Select 'with cdrom support'
type
X:\setup
X = the CD drive's letter (may be 'E'or 'F')That will do an 'over the top' install, which wll save all the current files on the drive.

This may or may not get you to your files - but it is worth a try if all else is failing.

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Yes, that's correct. When I choose safe mode the error appears and the screen does nothing and yes i did download a boot disk. I believe I had about 5 dates
to choose from. I will try it again tomorrow.

Ok, this boot from the diskette stuff. I have never done that before, can you tell? Do I put 98 CD in drive, boot disk in A drive, and shut system down? What do I have to do when system is restarting? How do I get to the screen that gives me the option to select "with cdrom support"? And is there any way to figure out what drive the cd is before I start?

Thanks again!

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Hi,

If you only have one Hard drive and one CDROM drive on your system your CDRom is probably "D"Drive. Is this the situation?

Your boot sequence probably looks for the floppy drive before the CD therefore you can put both in at the same time.

This done, switch on the computer and it will boot up from the floppy.

When you are given the option select "with CDROM Support".

You will then be able to type in D:\Setup.

It sould go straight to your CD and start installing Win98 over the top of your original system.

You do have the 25 Character product Key? You cannot do this without it.

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Congratulations 1069, you have saved my computer from a one way trip to the dump! I tried your suggestion to find a newer date and fortunately the day before the disaster was still there. The registry restore seems to be good. I am going to try to clean it out a bit now. I'll keep my fingers crossed!!

I'm going to keep the notes on how to reinstall just in case. I do have the key, I knew that I could not try a restore without it.

I going to try to format and do a clean install after the holidays. You'll know if I have a problem!

Thanks again, you folks on this website are fantastic!!

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
You are most welcome :tazz:

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Thanks for the tips, I printed them out for future reference:)