Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

People can see my IP address

• Please log in to reply

crazyguitarchik

crazyguitarchik

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi,

I went onto a security website and it said that I was missing a patch or my security was not updated or something...which is wrong because all my software and hardware are up to date. It explained that it could find out my ip addresses which it can as it placed it on the website when i did the scan.

Is this a security risk? Is there a way I can stop my IP address from being shown to others? I really don't have a clue with security settings. :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
which security website?

crazyguitarchik

crazyguitarchik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi,

It was from this website:

http://www.auditmypc.com/

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
which test did you do?

crazyguitarchik

crazyguitarchik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I ran the spyware test and i got this (info i think might be private are in xxxx):

Free Spyware Remover
Free Spyware Removal and Privacy Check

Free spyware remover is not the only test we perform, below is information about your computer that anyone can gather without spyware. This is private information that you give to websites every time you visit. The goal is to give away as little as possible without taking away from your internet experience.

Free spyware removal is made possible using javascript without having to download and install software. You should however, download some type of free or commercial spyware removal program for in order to prevent spyware from entering your system.
Free Spyware Removal:

The majority of information you will see is made possible, not because of spyware, but because you are missing a security patch or do not have a patch management program.

Your Forwarded for IP is xxxxxx Warning: Your computer is telling websites that your IP address is xxxxx and has been forwarded for IP address xxxxx. This could mean that you are using a proxy server that is NOT hiding your IP address. If this is correct, everyone can see this information. Feel free to try other proxy servers until you find one that doesn't release this information.
Your Forwarded for Name is xxxx
Your IP Address is xxxx
Your IP Host Name is xxxx

Your Browser is Netscape Navigator on Windows
Java Enabled = Yes .

Free Spyware Removal instructions will appear below if spyware is found:

Below is the Raw Data that you give away every time you visit a web site.
REMOTE_ADDR=xxxx
REMOTE_HOST=xxxx
REMOTE_USER=
HTTP_USER_AGENT=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050717 Firefox/1.0.6
HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR=xxxxx
HTTP_REFERRER=
HTTP_REFERER=

Your clipboard data may appear below. If it does, it's possible for a malicious website owner to spy on your data and monitor any new clipboard data. Free spyware removal will not help in this case. Basically, anytime you copy (cut) you could be sending information to another system!

Your SuperCookie ID is: [write this down if not empty]

Close your browser and revisit this page. If your SuperCookie ID changed or is {3300AD50-2C39-46c0-AE0A-000000000000}, then you are safe. If your SuperCooke did not change, take a look at our security fix.

If you would like I'll attempt to open your CD Drive and read part of your win.ini file off your hard drive. If this test is successful, then you have a bug in Internet Explorer which allows reading and sending of local files! To check for this vulnerability, choose your operating system from the selection below. If you are vulnerable, then a message will pop up containing part of your win.ini.
(Windows 95,98,ME,XP)
(Windows NT4.0, 2000)

Your screen width and height is 1024 and 768.

Free Spyware Remover and Spy Ware Removal Programs:

We have a growing collection of free spyware remover programs you can download and use to check your computer for spy ware. The free removal test you just performed was done using java, but sometimes more advanced testing is required.

The most complete way to test your system for spyware is downloading and install one of our free spyware remover programs.

Edited by crazyguitarchik, 26 September 2005 - 01:20 PM.

crazyguitarchik

crazyguitarchik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Umm...was i suppose to put my ip addresses in the post????

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
you can edit your post to remove it.

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
Oh yes just to tell you i came out with the same thing it could see my ip too. I think this is safe because it is a trustworthy site .

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm behind multiple security posts and it can see mine as well...but it also tells me that that's ok because they use a method that most people don't....

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Almost every computer that visits any of my sites leaves an IP addy, and often browser, OS, screen resolution, length of stay etc and as a webmaster I use the data to customize the site for the visitors. As long as your firewall is up to date and enabled, and you use some common sense while clicking, you're fine.

Johanna

Advertisements

crazyguitarchik

crazyguitarchik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks guys! Feel a lot better now!
Phew! :tazz: :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah..the biggest issue with those security sites is that...not only do they help your trouble shoot security issues...but they sell security software....so...if they can scare you..you buy their stuff

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
The information they display is disclosed by your browser everytime you open a webpage. It's perfectly normal, and how the Internet was designed to work. I'm not sure what they're trying to prove by saying it's displayed because you're missing a security patch. It looks to be a 'false positive' designed to bait you into buying or installing one of their programs. I don't think I'd consider that site "trustworthy".

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Here is an example of website info available to webmasters. This is a visitor to my site from G2G.

Johanna

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenShot016.jpg

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
I had a nice little laugh when I viewed the screenshot, Johanna.
AFAIK, I'm the only person in my building (ResLife15) at Quinnipiac that uses G2G. When you look at how many users G2G has, how rare are the chances that not only would I visit your site, but also visit this thread and and look at the screenshot?
Nice site by the way.

-Ryan

Edited by rmurphy, 27 September 2005 - 10:13 AM.