Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

getting rid of information on my hard drive

• Please log in to reply

jerry1967

jerry1967

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
is there a way or a program that will get rid of information on my hard drive?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
define get rid of

as in don't want my harddrive anymore and there are supersecret plans for building an atomic bomb on it that I don't want terrorists to get, or I want to delete love letters to my ex-girlfriend so no one can recover them.

In orther words, how paranoid are you?

Data deleted can be recovered if someone REALLY wants to do it badly enough, but there are a number of good options

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

is a program I like

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
eraser is a great program and will probably fill your needs.

jerry1967

jerry1967

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

define get rid of

as in don't want my harddrive anymore and there are supersecret plans for building an atomic bomb on it that I don't want terrorists to get, or I want to delete love letters to my ex-girlfriend so no one can recover them.

In orther words, how paranoid are you?

Data deleted can be recovered if someone REALLY wants to do it badly enough, but there are a number of good options

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

is a program I like

View Post

very funny about the love letters---but yes i want to get rid of some but not all.will the eraser get rid of all or just what i want to get rid of?

Edited by jerry1967, 26 September 2005 - 01:22 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
eraser is a good choice.

download, install, drag the files you wish to wipe out into the list window, File > run...the files will be overwrriten. zeroed and generally destroyed--it would take a very extensive process to recover the data. Once again, a computer forensic expert with special tools could still recover the files, possible, but general snoopers will not be able to