Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2nd video card

• Please log in to reply

mannybabe

mannybabe

• Pip
  • 8 posts
i got this comp with an on board video card. I went to put in a 2nd video card in a pci slot so i could have dual monitors.

next time i rebooted it gets stuck in the windows xp loading screen....it's xp pro.
it boots in safe mode but only one o the video cards will work.

i disabled the onboard one and the computers boots fine. The device manager knows both r there.

without me giving any system specs i was wondering if there was just some general steps i can make so that both video work at teh same time

Advertisements

phua zheng hao

phua zheng hao

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
if i am not mistaken, a computer cannot work 2 graphic card with each monitor on each graphic card. Even with SLI that runs two graphic cards together but still it has only one output. But if u really wan to use 2 monitors together, there are some external hardware where u can use two or more monitor with one single graphic card.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
phua is correct...most machine's do not like running multiple graphix cards...it's hard for the processor to know which one to access....you can get video cards with dual output...or you can get a splitter...the splitter will make the same image show up on both monitors where as having a dual display card will allow youto have different images on each monitor...which is what i assume you want

NeueZiel

NeueZiel

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Maybe just most name brand PCs.

I have had friends who where able to hook up 4 monitors to his comp with his 9800xt and a 7000 pci

my guess is that the integrated graphics is interfering with everything. I have had so many problems with my friends computer concerning graphics just because his computer kept on wanting to recognize the integrated graphics as the primary source, even if you disabled it.

Edited by NeueZiel, 27 September 2005 - 10:46 AM.

mannybabe

mannybabe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
alright well i figured it out. U can put as many graphics cards as you want in a computer and have as many displays as you want. On some motherboards however the integrated graphics card needs to be taken in the bios as primary vga and the video card in the agp or pci slot set to primary. Only on some mother boards though. Becuase i've successfully done it to 20 + comps but this new machine i just got in needed that change.