Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Safe Mode at every boot up

• Please log in to reply

lynnwood3

lynnwood3

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi there, I have a Win98 SE comp. that when shut off the other day, booted back up in what looks to be safe mode. I have shut it off several times, used the tab button to shut down the usual way and one time the menu came up during a boot that gave me the choice to start at the usual desktop mode, but when I chose that selection, it still came up in what looks like the safe mode. My ps2 mouse is not working either. Any ideas.

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Does it say "safe mode" in all four corners? If not you may need to reinstall your graphics drivers.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Does it say Safe Mode in all four corners? If not, it means you have lost the drivers for your display adapter. Right click on an empty part of the desktop and choose Properties and see if you can't change the settings. If you can't, look in device manager and see if there is a yellow question mark next to the display adapter. If so, try reinstalling the drivers. Let us know what happens.

lynnwood3

lynnwood3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I appreciate all your returns, and no, safe mode is not in the corners. I would like to get to the device manager, but my mouse pointer is not on the screen. How do I get there with keyboard strokes?

Thanks,

David

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Try this link: http://support.micro...om/?kbid=139517

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Nice link 1069