Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Winfixer removal fixed Standby problem [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ozarkcanoer

ozarkcanoer

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My spouse's Gateway laptop, running XP Pro SP2 stopped going into Standby a few weeks ago. She'd close the lid and the system would go into standby for about 10 seconds and then wake up with her touching anything. We ran Norton Antivirus, Spybot, Adaware and Microsoft's Antispyware. MS Antispyware reported Virtumonde being found and removed but the standby problem remained.

I found this site and ran HijackThis and saw that there was a pmkii.dll that couldn't be traced to any program. My wife also told me, and I also saw popups occuring for winfixr and winantispyware.

So I followed the drill and got rid of the .dll and afterwards the laptop now will enter standby and stay there.

What we want to know is "Who are these Winfixer/Winantispyware people"? Is there anyway to shut them down? And why didn't Norton Anti-virus, the XP firewall and Google popup blocker prevent the infection? Did my wife download something with this malware hidden within it?

thanks for the great tips and any answers.

Larry :tazz:

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Hi Larry and welcome to GTG.

If you can, could you post a HijackThis log here? I just want to take a quick look at it to make sure nothing else bad still exists there.

The government is taking the appropriate actions to shut some of these scum companies down...not all states are doing it though, but I see a lot are taking action because spyware these days are worse than viruses (they spread more than viruses now at least). Probably no way you can shut them down, but I'm sure time will tell how it goes...just like those who are caught writing viruses.

All those programs didn't catch them because they are not made to detect it. This is not even virus related, thus why Norton didn't catch it. Some of these spyware are notorious for disabling your firewall and antivirus programs, so that may be another reason.

Best bet is to get some spyware protection programs and us an alternative browser like Opera. I usually recommend using Firefox, but even that browser is having lots of security problems now. Just be careful on what sites you visit. It may look harmless but without some spyware prevention programs, these malicious scripts from the websites will install themselves on your system without your knowledge.

Not sure. It could be something your wife downloaded, but I wouldn't say 100%. Lots of people have gotten these because of visiting a site, getting a popup from a site, installing some programs, etc.... Basically spyware is out of control to say the least. So get the programs below to help protect your computer...

To help prevent future spyware installations/infections, please read the Anti-Spyware Tutorial and use the tools provided.

So give me your HijackThis log for one final look if you want. Otherwise, I will just close this topic and mark it resolved.

ozarkcanoer

ozarkcanoer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
GreyKnight,
thanks for the information. Here's the log I just ran on my Wife's laptop. Definitely let me know if you see some other malware/trojan/etc. that needs removal.
Larry
-----------
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:16:25 PM, on 9/27/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\S24EvMon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\RegSrvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\RoamMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Switching\User\RoamSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\ZCfgSvc.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\ltmoh\Ltmoh.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Gateway Utilities\GWInkMonitor.exe
C:\WINNT\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Touchpad\Gesture.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\glidew32.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\WCESCOMM.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org1.1.4\program\soffice.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopIndex.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopCrawl.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.gatewaybiz.com
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LtMoh] C:\Program Files\ltmoh\Ltmoh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINNT\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINNT\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Gateway Ink Monitor] "C:\Program Files\Gateway Utilities\GWInkMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CirqueGesture] C:\Program Files\Touchpad\Gesture.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Glide] glidew32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [H/PC Connection Agent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\WCESCOMM.EXE"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINNT\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Desktop Search] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup
O4 - Startup: OpenOffice.org 1.1.4.lnk = C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org1.1.4\program\quickstart.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Lookup in WordBook - res://C:\Program Files\WordBook\WordBookIEExt.dll/lookup.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2\bin\npjpi142.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2\bin\npjpi142.dll
O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MI3AA1~1\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MI3AA1~1\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MI3AA1~1\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINNT\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://support.gatew...r/PCPitStop.CAB
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....k/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1408.g.akama...iTunesSetup.exe
O16 - DPF: {62475759-9E84-458E-A1AB-5D2C442ADFDE} - http://a1408.g.akama...iTunesSetup.exe
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1123621228750
O16 - DPF: {94B82441-A413-4E43-8422-D49930E69764} (TLIEFlashObj Class) - http://rtc1.webrespo...p/TLIEFlash.CAB
O16 - DPF: {9A57B18E-2F5D-11D5-8997-00104BD12D94} (compid Class) - http://support.gatew...rvest/gwCID.CAB
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.s...ta/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) - https://www-secure.s.../ActiveData.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: Sebring - C:\WINNT\System32\LgNotify.dll
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Adapter Switching (IntelRoam) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Switching\User\RoamSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: RegSrvc - Intel Corporation - C:\WINNT\System32\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: RoamMgr - Intel Corporation - C:\WINNT\System32\RoamMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Spectrum24 Event Monitor (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINNT\System32\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Hi Larry, that's perfect. No problem found :tazz:

Your log is clean.

To help prevent future spyware installations/infections, please read the Anti-Spyware Tutorial and use the tools provided.

Are there any problems now? If not, you should be set to go.

ozarkcanoer

ozarkcanoer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the analysis and clean bill of health.

No, no problems reported by my wife other than some irritations caused by my cleaning of all her cookies! But we'll get that back to normal soon.

Case closed!

thanks again; I had searched all over for a solution to the failure of standby mode not working, not thinking it could be tied to the pop-ups from Winfixer.

Larry

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.