Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

error starting computer

• Please log in to reply

dailyconfused

dailyconfused

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hey, This just started happening recently and I have no idea why. When I try to turn on my computer I get

BIOS ROM checksum error

Detecting floppy drive A media...
INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER_

Why did my computer just start doing this? And how do I fix it? I've read about it and everything I read makes it seem like I need to be able to log into windows to fix it. I cant get past this screen. Any help would be appriciated.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until it shows the set up screen, look for boot priority and change it to Hard Drive then CD ROM Drive, press F10 to save the changes, type Y to confirm then press enter

On the set up screen you may need to use the down arrow to highlight the boot order then use the page up key to change the order

Has the PC got a floppy drive, if so, is it very old?

dailyconfused

dailyconfused

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I tried that, I boot it and keep tapping delete and it still shows that same message.

It has a floppy drive. Its just as old as the computer. I bought it(the computer) in december 3 years ago I think.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping F2 which should give you the set up screen

dailyconfused

dailyconfused

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
*sigh* That does the same thing...I keep tapping f2 and it just goes to the same error message.
I have gotten it to go to a screen like

Reading from device Drive A.....

or something along that line. but thats all it does. I'll check again tomorrow and see if I can get the same message again. Thanks for the help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did anyone leave a floppy disc in the drive

dailyconfused

dailyconfused

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
No, there is/was no floppy in the drive. Should I just open it up and unhook/disconnect the floppy drive and see if it will turn on that way? It's not like I use it anyway.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can but I would have thought that setting it to boot from CD ROM then Hard Drive would have ruled it out, unless the boot priority still includes the floppy, and it is still looking for it.

Check again with BIOS to see if you can disable the floppy, if not, unplug it

dailyconfused

dailyconfused

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I cant get the BIOS screen to pop up. I keep pressing the buttons and it still just goes back to that other message.

*Edit*Tried unplugging it and it just makes really high pitched fast beeps untill I turn it off. It says something like Drive/Device A error.

Edited by dailyconfused, 27 September 2005 - 06:02 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Reconnect the floppy drive, boot the PC and keep tapping F8 until you get options, choose safe mode, see if it loads to desktop

Alex_Harris

Alex_Harris

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Just did a quick google search on the BIOS ROM checksum error and came up with this:

BIOS ROM Checksum Errors

Explanation: The read-only memory (ROM) containing the BIOS program is protected by a checksum value as a double-check that the ROM code is correct. This checksum is compared against the values in the ROM each time the PC is booted and if there is a mismatch, this code is generated.

Note: This error is not the same as a CMOS Checksum Error, which refers to corrupted values of the CMOS settings, the ones you set through the BIOS setup program. This error means the contents of the BIOS code itself are damaged.

Diagnosis: The BIOS ROM chip on the motherboard is probably faulty. It could also be another component on the motherboard.

BIOS ROM Checksum Errors

If the Bios ROM on the motherboard or say even the IDE channel of the Motherboard is faulty it would explain why it isn't booting into Windows. You might be looking at a new motherboard to try and resolve this issue.

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
Have you got a OS in it maybe be you should reinstall it? I have a computer without an OS and I get a similar error!

dailyconfused

dailyconfused

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Yeah, I guess I'm gonna have to buy a new motherboard. Can't get it to boot past this error. Oh well. Thanks for the help.