Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sony DVD-RW problem

• Please log in to reply

spadeaxe

spadeaxe

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, This is the first time I have posted here and I have a question about a dvd-rw drive that I installed. The drive works great, but heres the kicker. If I completly shut down my computer,then start it back up it reconizes my drive.(this is the slave btw) but if I just RESTART my computer it doesn't reconize it? Any suggestions on this? I read the FAQ's on the software disc possibly thinking it was a driver error, and they say it doesn't require a driver? :tazz: HUH? Thanks for taking time.

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Welcome to GTG.

Does it burn any CDs/DVDs at all? Or does it just shutdown once you try to burn something?

What device is this DVD burner sharing with (since you said it's a slave)? If you can, try making it master on a secondary IDE cable (if there is one available). The DVD burner should have a driver for it. What is the exact type/model of the Sony burner you have there?

This is obvious, but did you check the cables to make sure they are plugged in securely? Try unplugging them and plugging them back in again.

Sometimes this could also be due to insufficient power supply. So if the drivers won't fix it, I would look into unplugging other devices in your computer and see if the burner still goes unrecognized after a restart.

spadeaxe

spadeaxe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It burns and funtions great. The only problem I have is if I restart my computer for some reason, it doesn't get reconized at all. If my computer is turned off and I start it up, it reconizes it fine. Weird. It's a Sony DRU-720A DVD/CD RW drive. The primary drive is a TDK cd-rom RW. Not sure of the exact model.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
So you said you didn't install the drivers for this Sony burner? Does it come with the drivers? If not, I suggest installing them.

Try unplugging the TDK CDRW drive (both power and ide cables) and then plug in the Sony one to replace it. Boot up and restart. Is the Sony burner recognized now?