Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

A Matter Of Size

• Please log in to reply

Captainoz

Captainoz

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm a first time builder looking to make myself a PC to replace my old laptop. I wanted something fun and compact so I started looking at the smaller "cube" systems that can be built from parts etc.

After going through Novatech.co.uk I found all the parts I wanted except the case which I found here.

A quick glance at the sizes and I thought that my motherboard etc would fit in comfortably. Then I checked again before printing off the list of componants and noticed a possible problem.

The motherboard setup claims it is "miniATX" whilst the case is a "microATX".

After trawling the search engines I ended up more confused than ever. Are these the same thing or do I have to find a different case?

Cheers!

Advertisements

humorsavesmysoul

humorsavesmysoul

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
"miniATX" i have never heard of but it looks like the mobo is a microATX board from looking at the mounting holes.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah it is more than likely just a mistake on there part, check on ebuyer and overclockers i have found them the cheapest with the best selection of parts available.

Captainoz

Captainoz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, thanks very much for all that help. On checking the measurements and details from a few other sites I now know I can use the case I wanted.

Now comes the big part...

I'm pretty sure I've got all the components listed that I wanted and have managed to keep to my sub-£1,000 budget. Just.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the setup I've picked but, being totally new to this, I've probably screwed something up. I wanted something for university that I can upgrade when I need to, that is compact, has wi-fi capability, an acceptable video card with dual-display feature and a decent enough sound card as I like to play games as well as use music recording/creation software. Room for storage expansion was also on the list (just in case). The whole thing will run on Windows XP Home (unless I change my mind and go for Pro).

Opinions / advice?

The Case
The Motherboard Bundle
The Video Card
The Soundcard
The HDD
The DVD/CD-RW Drive
The Wireless Card
Card Reader Bay

The input devices, monitors and speakers are all high(ish) end which I already have.

Howzat?