Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP Pro install error

• Please log in to reply

Da Booch

Da Booch

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello all, here's my problem. System first. Soyo P4VGA Mobo, 1.7 Celeron, 128 megs 133 SD (have 512 of DDR2100 but having problems with that as well) FX5200 video card and 40GB WD drive. CChange BIOS to read CD first. Boot from CD. Loads files fine. Asks where I want to put XP. Create the partition and format in NTFS. Once format finished I get "Setup was unable to format the partition." If I delete the partition and try it again I get the blue SOD saying..."A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer..."

I have used the WD DLDiag disk to zero the drive, have run both the quick and extended tests and all come back great. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you get this before and after writing zeros

Are you splitting the drive into partitions

Da Booch

Da Booch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yes, before and after. Tried partitioning and not partitioning. Same results. Tried 98SE and it worked fine.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Make sure the XP CD is clean, use another CD ROM drive if you have one installed

Contact Microsoft for a replacement CD

http://support.micro...kb;en-gb;326246

Da Booch

Da Booch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Does this mean the disk is bad?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can install an operating system then the PC is fine, if you cannot install XP it could be the disc and Microsoft do replace anything if it is damaged

98SE and XP use different ways to format the drive but it does look like the XP CD is unable to format correctly