Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MITSUMI CD PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply

jagrfan

jagrfan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am running a Mitsumi CR-48X5TE with Windows XP Pro. Well... maybe "running" is not the correct word. It worked fine for a while, but for the past month or so it doesn't recognize any kind of CD. When I put in a CD and close the CD holder, I'll get about 5 green blinks then it flips to amber blinks. I've installed new drivers and I've installed old drivers. Nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

Have you tried cleaning the lens inside the drive? (you can buy special cd lens cleaning kits that will do this for you). If that doesn't help, then it may well be that the drive is simply worn out.

Before giving up on it though, I would be worth trying the drive in another system first, just to make sure. If this isn't an option for you, then try changing the IDE ribbon cable & connect the drive to one of the other power (molex) connectors on the power supply.

jagrfan

jagrfan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the welcome and the reply. You are obviously far more computer literate than I am. How do I go about cleaning the lens inside the drive?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
As I said, you can buy a special lens cleaning kit for this. Heres an example of one :
http://www.amazon.co...044038?v=glance

They're not expensive but try to go for a well known brand name.
The CD you can see in that link is placed in the cdrom drive, just like any other CD would be. It has a few soft bristles on it that clean the laser lens as the CD spins in the drive.

jagrfan

jagrfan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks. I will give it a try after I test the drive in another system to see if a CD will even start spinning!