Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RAM issue

• Please log in to reply

Da Booch

Da Booch

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello all. Building a new puter. Have a Soyo P4VGA Mobo which supports 2 X DDR ( PC 1600 or PC2100) or 1 X SD Ram stick. Put in 1 stick of 133 SD ram (128 MB) and the system boots. Put in 2 X 256 Megs of DDR ram in (1 X Infineon PC 2100 and 1 X IBM PC2100). I get a continuous long beep as soon as I turn the puter on. Removed 1 stick of DDR...same prob. Tried other stick...same beep. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I need to be certain - when you installed the DDR ram, did you remove the SDR module first?

Da Booch

Da Booch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yup. Either SD (works fine) or DDR (doesn't work)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Do you happen to know what the exact specs are for both of the DDR modules (i.e. are they ECC or non ECC, buffered or unbuffered, double or single sided?)
If not, the model number for each one will do. If you don't know whether they are ECC or non ECC, count the number of chips (both sides) on each module & let me know what the total for each is.

Da Booch

Da Booch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
IBM -256MB, DDR, 266, CL2.5, ECC, REG. Double sided 10 chips per side

Infineon -256MB, DDR, 266, CL2, ECC, REG. Double sided 10 chips per side

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Thats the problem then - neither of those 2 modules are compatible with your motherboard. Your board, like the majority of motherboards, requires non-ECC, non-Registered (ie non-buffered) ram.

One or two of them also have issues with double sided modules.

If you want to locate some ram thats guaranteed 100% compatible with your system, try Memory Advisor on Crucials website.

Da Booch

Da Booch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks very much