Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Still getting popups... need a little help pls.

• Please log in to reply

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
This is beyond my knowledge. I will try to transfer you to the Windows Forum

Trevuren

Advertisements

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
This user's log is CLEAN. The problem appeared after the fact.

If one of you knowledgable folk could straighten this out, we would both be very grateful.

Thanks,

Trevuren

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

Once you do this, we can look at whatever else needs doing

You will need to install everything from Microsoft Update after this

Knuckle_Buster

Knuckle_Buster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Keith,

THanks for taking over, Trevuren is very helpful.

I am attempting to run Windows restore, I've encoutnered a problem where it gives me a BSOD without any indication as to what the problem is, I am going to try again.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hey Knuckle_Buster!

I have done some research on this error code and it seems that it could be a problem with your video driver. What video card do you have installed on this machine?

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I've also found that error code 0x000006ba refers to the RPC (Remote Procedure Call) service is unavailable. When in Safe mode, go to START-->RUN and type in 'services.msc' Check and make sure that RPC (Remote Procedure Call) status is STARTED and the startup type is set to AUTOMATIC.

Knuckle_Buster

Knuckle_Buster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok, here's what has happened.

I attempt to do the Windows XP repair.
Everything appeared to be going along just fine until the reboot after setup copied all the files over.
When the system reboots, I get a BSOD with this error code:

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x8120B400, 0xF96DD150, 0xF96DCE50)

and no other reference.

I then tried to boot to safe mode, and I get 'setup cannot run in safe mode' and the system restarts to the BSOD again.

????

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Check out this link relating to this specific problem.

Fenor

Knuckle_Buster

Knuckle_Buster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks Fenor, but I don't get a referenced file, just the STOP error line, nothing following that...

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What video card are you using? What I suggest you do is take everything out of your computer that is non-essential, which would leave only the hard drive windows is being setup on and the cd-rom drive the xp cd is in. EVERYTHING else should be disconnected. This includes any secondary hard drives, any raid setups, zip drives, tape drives, network cards, modems, sound cards, etc.... Obviously you'll only be able to take out video card if you have onboard video built into the machine. And obviously don't remove anything if it will void any warranty(ies) that you have with the manufacturer(s).

Fenor

Advertisements

Knuckle_Buster

Knuckle_Buster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Fenor,

I will try as you suggest, but the machine I am working on does have onboard video.

Knuckle_Buster

Knuckle_Buster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Fenor,

I've removed all components from the system and disabled everything I could in BIOS.

I still get the same STOP error without any referenced file.

What would you suggest I do next?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hey Knuckle_Buster!

Sorry for not getting back to you. :tazz:

If you are still having the same problem, then I suggest you check out this link and follow the possible resolutions for solving this problem. If you have any troubles following any of these, please post them.

Fenor