Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp won't boot on new system

• Please log in to reply

xxhiyanxx

xxhiyanxx

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hey guys.. i've just rebuilt my roommates system, he bought an ASRock K8 combo mb, and sempron 2600+ cpu, 512mb memory, a new power supply and a new hard drive. the parts we are reusing are the floppy, the optical drive and the video card (a tnt riva AGP, don't have anythign better laying around right now). XP installation went find, but the computer will not get past the splash screen on boot up. the screen just goes black after the splash screen loads. i can however get into safe mode, but i can't find any conflicts. i flashed the bios to the lastest version but that's not helping any. can anyone offer any advice on what i may have missed?

thanx
Matt

Edited by xxhiyanxx, 26 September 2005 - 08:18 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
are you certain the videocard is OK?

The fact that safe mode works suggest driver issue...I'd remove everything except for one stick of ram, the cpu, and the videocard--turn off integrated sound, nic, usb, anything else you can.

Try again...no work? Swap the other RAM stick. Still no work?

Is the memory on the motherboard's acceptable brand list?

Swap out the videocard, try another.