Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

View workgroup computer problem

• Please log in to reply

rfire2k

rfire2k

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
guys nid help plz... my computer here can't view computers from my network using my network places. but i can ping pc's using thier ips at the command promt as well i can find them using find people thru thier specific ips... whats wrong w/ mah workstations guys.... pls help

Advertisements

cmyers

cmyers

• Pip
  • 1 posts
What operating systems are you using? If you are using XP or 2000, did you create a network connection. Do you have windows file and print sharing client added to your local area connection properties? Please give more detail on your workstations. It will make it easier to help out.

rfire2k

rfire2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
new senario: ALL of ur computer here in or office having a problem of "workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network name cannot be found. we are all using windows xp, each computer have file and printer sharing, we can ping each other using command prompt command, we can find each computer using search>Computers or people thru ips. we are using wireless network. our network used to work but suddenly it becomes unaccessible... even we restart all the pc here and router.... help pls..

rfire2k

rfire2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
i tried to create a newwork group and connect of 2 workstation to that new network and i did work.... i think the current workgroup of our office is the problem... how can i fix it??

and guys how does domain works??? what is its advantate/disadvantage against workgroup??

simplejohn

simplejohn

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Check 2 things.
All computers must work under the same work-group name. if they don't you can
change it by right clicking on my computer, properties and selecting the computer name tab.
All computers must have a Guest user account and it should be active.

Now the difference between work-group and domain is that in work-group,
each computer responsible for his part of the network, while with a domain,
he's the one setting all the rules and privileges over the network.

That's about it...

rfire2k

rfire2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
i have checked it all computers are under the same workgroup... commonly our workgroup works... then suddenly one day it dosen't until now... i have tried to close all computers and turn on one by one yet it is still unaccessible i tried to create a new work group diffrent from our work group and connect one pc and it worked... probably the network name that floats in our office has the problem.. wat would i do?? changing workgroup name is not an option..

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I suppose you could "remove" the workgroup network, restart, then recreate the workgroup name you need. Did you say you could ping each workstation from the others, but can't "connect" to the shares?

If so, try to Map a Network Drive to those shares

vsupport

vsupport

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello Friends ,

Just go to My Computer > Tools > Folder Options >View and scroll down to the last option " Use Simple File Sharing ( Recommanded ) Option and UNCHECK IT.

Afterwards right click on the harddisk you want to share, go to security & sharing and there define a new share name and in Permission enable all permissions. That's all.

Vsupport.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Almost always it's a firewall blocking access. Check your firewall logs.