Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop keeps switcing itself of

• Please log in to reply

catlover

catlover

• Pip
  • 2 posts
this has been a problem for ages, but seems to have gotten much worse lately. i run adaware and virus scans regularly and defrag when i remember to.
i used the quick restore cd's (again) a week or two ago and since then, despite haviong downoaded all the updates again my puter keeps switching itself of witho no warning.
frequently but not exclusively happens when i am running flash games/programs.
i do have the puter on all day, occasionally i think it is an overheating problem (im sure there are planty of cat hairs tied into my fans lol) but there are days when i can be actively using it all day and it doesnt switch of, other days it will ahve been on for 5 mins and will freeze and switch itself of.

anyone got any sugestions for what is wrong or how i can stop it?
thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
overheating is the most likely culprit.

Given that it is a laptop, I would recommend you take it in for service rather than try it yourself as laptops are trickier to work with

catlover

catlover

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
meh i was hoping it would maybe be something else. oh well thank you :tazz: