Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Zone Alarm

• Please log in to reply

bonka

bonka

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I updated Zone Alarm Pro and I cannot connect to my ISP. It just keeps trying to dial different numbers. I also cannot seem to enable cookies. I have enabled them in Internte Explorer but cannot use EBay

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
It's possible that the Updating of Zone Alarm (ZA) caused some settings to be reset in it, which is making ZA block the internet requests to connect to your ISP and to not allow cookies to be saved on your machine. Check ZA's settings and see if something got reset.

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Yeah, check that your dialing program is "allowed" in ZA

bonka

bonka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have tried to reset things. I have no idea what or where my dialer is. The only thing I could find that would seem to be logical was NetZero High Speed. I zapped it and rebooted then said OK again. The thing is still screwed up. If I have ZA disabled I can get on line. If I enable it when on line the phone hangs up.
I am sick of it. Anything that complicated is not for this guy. I can get no help from the ZA people. I am going to uninstall it so I don't have to deal with it any more.
Thanks everyone.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If this is broadband, is there a filter fitted to the telephone line

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try disabling ZA and then see if you can connect to your ISP, use EBay, etc... That will help narrow down the problem to a ZA specific issue.

Fenor

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

I have tried to reset things.  I have no idea what or where my dialer is.  The only thing I could find that would seem to be logical was NetZero High Speed. I zapped it and rebooted then said OK again.  The thing is still screwed up.  If I have ZA disabled I can get on line.  If I enable it when on line the phone hangs up.
I am sick of it.  Anything that complicated is not for this guy.  I can get no help from the ZA people.  I am going to uninstall it so I don't have to deal with it any more.
Thanks everyone.

View Post

Ok, you are on dialup, so how bad can it be?? :tazz:

Seriously, you should have a firewall of some type in effect, even if it's the XP inbound only blocker. For the XP firewall, just make sure you allow your dialer in the exceptions
Sorry you couldn't get the ZA working correctly; usually it's a minor setting here or there

MarkDreams

MarkDreams

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
kd1966
I have Zone Alarm on Windows XP Home and find it an excellent firewall.
Maybe I can help you ... Do you have an MSN account and are you around Monday afternoon / evening? If so perhaps I can assist you by going through the various options. Of course you can uninstall / reinstall ... but I bought ZA Pro and found it very good! Alternatively if I could help another way please suggest!
MarkDreams

bonka

bonka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No, I do not have a MSN account. I do have Panda and Spybot to help with securtiy. I can figure out how to use them. Some time ago I had Norton and it too over my machine to the point I could do nothing. I think I am through with big name products with no online help. ZA, as far as I can see, has no way of sending a msg. and getting help. All I see is FAQ and I do not understand much of anything on them. I am 62 and can tell you about a lot of things but I never got into computers at a time when I could learn them as readily as when I was in my 20's.
Thanks for caring. If you ever want to know about investing, photography, woodworking and many other things I am your man but computers do not click with me.
Jerry