Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp blocking files transferred

• Please log in to reply

gritbox

gritbox

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
one of my contacts was sending me a file over msn file transfer. when i went to play it it said "xp has blocked this due to potential virus" i know theres no virus on it so is there any way to passby this or turn this off so i can view it? thanks

Advertisements

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Hi gritbox, Welcome to Geekstogo

Two questions:

What do you use for a firewall?

What are you using for virus scans?

Best regards,

EMCguy

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
hey, im using the avg virus scanner as recommended from here and just basic windows firewall

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Hi gritbox,

Have you tried shutting off AVG?

Does it look like a real AVG message?

Best regards,

EMCguy

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
hey, no its got a wee windows icon it seems to be a windows thing. i thought it was msn itself not allowin me to open it, cos it downloads then i click the link to play an it tells me its not lettin me, then the file vanishes!

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Hi, gritbox

So you think its the Windows firewall blocking it then. Have you tried lowering the firewall settings temporarily, while you are just transferring this file?

Best regards,

EMCguy

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
Is it a .exe file? If yes that is normal as MSN wont let these files be played or downloaded.

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
nah its a .avi file. i got by it by asking ma pal to rename it so the extension wasnt in the file, then i just re-applied it once i dwloaded it. im sure thats not the orthodox way of doing it but it worked!! haha thanks a million for ur help guys

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Glad we could help