Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Installation Problem - HELP!

• Please log in to reply

dominbrum

dominbrum

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there,

I am building a computer for a friend starting at uni. The computer has sufficient RAM and harddrive space for XP and is currently completely formatted.

When booting from the brand new XP CD, all drivers install properly on the blue screen until about 5 mins into installation - I get an error message 'The file abp480n5.sys is corrupted' appears - I have to then restart the computer and can't get over the problem.

As there is no OS installed I can only modify the computer from C promt.

I have tried looking all over the net and can't sort this - needs to be done soon!

Is there anyone out there geeky enough to be able to help me please?!

Dom

Advertisements

_vicious

_vicious

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hey, i have been having the same exact problems. i have installed 2 different harddrives and 2 different copies of xp, and they both have and error during the process of copying files from the cd.

from what i can gather, it may just be a crummy cd. check for any scratches, and think about getting a lens cleaner for your cd-rom drive. sometimes that could be a problem while the system is trying to gather all the files needed for the installation.

that's about the extent of what i could gather. good luck.

dominbrum

dominbrum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for that. The CD is completely clean - it's brand new from the box. Will try cleaning the drive, may even use an external to see if that is the problem.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

That file is one associated with XP SCSI Controller.. Are you setting up on a SATA hard-drive or plain IDE??

Also, a majority of XP install errors can be traced back to bad ram.. Just because it's new doesn't mean it is good!!

Murray

dominbrum

dominbrum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the reply. I am trying to install onto standard IDE.

It is an old computer that was running Windows 98 perfectly fine. I reformatted the computer, upgraded the 64mb RAM by placing 128mb in slot next to it - the 128 came from another computer working perfectly fine.

Any ideas?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Still worth checking it has installed and been recognised correctly

You can run memtest, get the version most suitable for you here

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Did you put the 128 in the first slot then the 64 in the second slot

dominbrum

dominbrum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I placed the 128 in the only available slot - not sure how to tell which one is first slot and second slot!

How would I run memtest from c promt? Presumably burn ISO onto CD and boot from it?

Thanks for your help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
On the assumption the 64 was / is in the first slot, then put the 128 in there and then the 64 next to this

The pre-compiled bootable ISO should run from the off, check in BIOS set up that it is set to boot from CD ROM drive first just to make sure

Burn the ISO File as an ISO Image

dominbrum

dominbrum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I'll try that when I get home tonight, thanks. Can I ask why it makes a difference which way round the RAM is?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When installing SIMMs, it is important to remember that most systems (Pentium and newer), require two SIMM modules to make a single bank of memory. Because of this, you need to fill the two slots in a bank with identical modules. However, each bank can hold different size modules. For example, bank 1 (slots 1 and 2) may have two 32MB modules, while bank 2 (slots 3 and 4) may have two 16MB modules. The larger modules must be in the first bank (slots 1 and 2).

http://www.crucial.c...stall/simm1.asp

http://www.crucial.c...nstall/dimm.asp

dominbrum

dominbrum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I see... thanks!

Managed to get it all working tonight - CD was dodgy. Installed a recovery disk from my other computer. Need to overcome the problem of a confirmation ID now. Don't think Microsoft will like my story....!

Dom

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;326246

You might need to send the disc to them but they will replace it