Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to install SCSI drive in old pentium?

• Please log in to reply

maladeta

maladeta

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi!
I've got in front of me a 50 pin hard drive, model ST with interface ultraATA and ultraSCSI-3.
The thing is I have a pentium II processor MMX and i don't know if there is any possibility of adding this SCSI drive into my system in addition to my old ATA hard drive.
What connectors should i buy?is my computer too old? shall i get rid of this too good HD for my old computer?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

The scsi drive should work fine in your system if you install a PCI SCSI card, such as the one in the link below :
http://www.ioiscsi.c...cts/4203u.shtml

This card will allow you to use the scsi drive in addition to your normal IDE drive. If you won't to be able to boot from the scsi drive (i.e. use it as yur C drive) then you need a card with a bios on it (like the one in the link). If you intend to boot from the IDE drive though, you can use a card which doesn't have a bios if you prefer.

BTW, you will also require a 50pin scsi cable to connect the drive to the scsi card - so check when you buy a card whether or not it comes with this cable

maladeta

maladeta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi again,

I've ckecked the price of this cards and i definitely think they are too expensive (£50). It'd be cheaper to buy a normal IDE HD instead.

It a pity 'cause i would have liked to try this drive.

Thanks anyway

Cheers :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Heres a link to an English site for an adaptec 50pin scsi card for £25
:
http://www.ebuyer.co...oduct_uid=60215

You should be able to get a similar one from somewhere for even less if you go for a different brand other than adaptec (e.g Mentor, Initio etc).

However, while this card will work with your drive, it only supports either 10MB or 20MB/sec, whereas your drive should be capable of 40MB/sec. One of those cards will be about £40 - £50 as you said, so it may not be worth the expense.