Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

toubles with XP...what's new.

• Please log in to reply

_vicious

_vicious

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I know this subject is broad and has like 29347928347 threads, but even after looking all over, i can not seem to find someone with an exact replica of my problem. so here it goes.

okay here is the problem:

i had windows 98se on my 80 gig HDD.
went to go install windows xp professional.
formated HDD from FAT32 to NTFS.

everything to this point was good untill it began to copy files.
it would run through about 5-8% then get hung up on a file. and display the error that it couldn't copy that certain file. And when I went to either skip the file or retry the copy it would go to the blue screen showing that there is a critical error.

now here is the trickery, everytime i restart and try the process again it keeps getting hung up and failing at different points. so it's not like it keeps stopping at the same file and showing me the same error message.

it stops at random files such as: d3drm.dll and diskcopy.dll.

and displays different error codes such as: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and DFN_LIST_CORRUPT.

I have tried everything that came to mind. I got another XP disk thinking the other was faulty,
I stripped my machine to the minuimum, taking out usb card, sound card, and nic card.
I have tried using another cd-rom drive.
I have even tried swapping out my HDD with another one.

no matter what i do, i can not seem to get past the copy files process.
PLEASE HELP!

Edited by _vicious, 27 September 2005 - 05:20 PM.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Test your ram.. Most XP install problems can be traced to bad ram!!

Murray

_vicious

_vicious

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i tested my ram. and it still acted up.
and then i put in fresh ram. and it kept doing the same thing.

are there any other problems what may of caused this?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
What did you use to test the ram - memtest86??

Are you booting using the XP cd to partition and format the hdd prior to installing XP??

Murray

_vicious

_vicious

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
since i can't get to a desktop of sorts on my computer, i went ahead and put the ram in another computer and tested it there, and everything was reading normal.

and yes, i loaded the cd, formatted the unpartitioned space, and then it keeps messing up.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Again.. how did you test it?? Just using it isn't a test !!!

Murray

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts

since i can't get to a desktop of sorts on my computer, i went ahead and put the ram in another computer and tested it there, and everything was reading normal.

and yes, i loaded the cd, formatted the unpartitioned space, and then it keeps messing up.

View Post

Sorry to butt in Murray, but THIS above might be the problem. The quote below is from one of my favourite tech help sites -

When the Windows XP setup menu appears press ENTER to continue the setup.
Next the Windows XP licensing agreement will open, if you agree to this agreement press F8.
Next the partition setup will appear, it is recommended that if a partition already exists and you do not plan on having multiple operating systems on the computer that you delete the existing partition before continuing the setup. You will know if a partition exists if you see anything other then "Unpartitioned space".

To delete the partition:
on the drive that you press D and then press L to delete the partition and then press ENTER and then if you are aware that this will delete all information on the partition.

To create the partition:
Select the unpartitioned space you wish to create a partition on and press C, specify the size of the partition in MB, by default this will have the full amount of the drive and press ENTER.

Once you have a partition ready to have Windows XP installed on it press ENTER to install.

Next you will need to select whether the drive will use FAT or NTFS. We suggest NTFS for users who are not sure which file system they wish to use.
After selecting the file system and pressing enter the computer will start formatting the drive. Depending on how big the partition is will determine the length of time the format will take.
After the format Windows will begin installing the files and then take you through a wizard to continue with the remainder of the setup.

Hope this is of some use

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Anytime UK!! :tazz:

Murray

_vicious

_vicious

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
word, well thanks for the help. i finally got it up and working. i replaced the ram and just figured the other ram i had was corrupt. and that is that.

thanks everyone.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
As I said.. Most XP install problems will be the result of bad ram.. :)

Glad to hear you are up and running !! :tazz:

Murray