Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB not working after Windows reinstall

• Please log in to reply

GWats

GWats

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I just completed a clean reinstall of Windows 98se on my P3 650 which went surprisingly well (thanks to wannabe1). Everything is up and running well with the exception of the USB port. I've installed the driver from the original purchase (the one that worked great for the past 7 years). I've reinstalled the all drivers for the things that connect to the USB (Wingman, Sandisk reader). The HP printer software wouldn't load as it said the USB wasn't connected.

I have one of those 4-way hub USB things that I've used for the past while. The lights on it confuse me but may offer a clue as to why it's not working properly.
When the cable is plugged into the computer and the power to the outlet, the light on the USB hub is orange. When I unplug the power and leave the cable to the computer attached, the light on the hub goes green. When I unplug the cable and leave the power attached, the light goes red.

The four lights on the hub that indicate the connecting devices do not come on no matter what combination I try, or drivers I load, then reboot.

There must be some way to get this USB show on the road. I can't print anything and I need to get this thing working. Any thoughts???

Thanks

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
When you go into System, Device manager what does it say for the usb hub and ports?

GWats

GWats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
That's the weird part. I checked there earlier and there is no listing for USB port.
Should it appear as a direct offshoot of 'computer' when displaying 'view devices by type'?
There's lots listed there (i.e., CD Rom, Disk drives, display adapters, and so on) but even when i open each of those items up, still no USB. Could it be under a different name?
If it's not there at all, what then??
It worked fine before the Windows reinstall and now it doesn't.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
That's most interesting. The USB devices are often part of the chipset, if you know the brand and model of the chipset go to the makers site and get new chipset drivers. Or go to the computer/motherboard makers site. BTW the devices are listed alphabetically so USB should be near the bottom. If you have a separate card and the drivers aren't installed it may show up as "other", etc. Do you have any yellow question marks?

GWats

GWats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
No, there's no 'other' in the list or any question marks.
When you talk of 'chipsets', that's a bit over my head. If I knew what I was looking for, I may be able to come up with the "chipset maker', etc. but as it is, I'm pretty lost.

One unusual thing I had to do when reinstalling Windows 98se was pull the battery off the motherboard and temporarily switch some wires in order to eliminate a password obstacle that was keeping me from getting into my BIOS setup screen. Might that have altered something?

Also, I think I have all my original disks. There's one with ATN 0.4N on it that lists a bunch of stuff like Pentium 3 mainboard with VIA Chipset. Does that sound useful? I've attempted numerous times to install the USB driver from that disk and it goes OK except for the fact the the installation part takes an extremely short time (like almost instantly) which suggests that it's not doing properly.
What do you think??

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi GWats...

Please download Everest Home Edition, install it, run it, and attach a log to this thread. This will give us information about your system that may help us troubleshoot the USB problem.

wannabe1

GWats

GWats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
OK I've got the Everest
I hope I did this right
It said "Report". I hope that's what you wanted. It's just the hardware stuff. It's in HTML (whatever that is).
It's attached.
Thanks
If it's not waht you need let me know and I'll get you what you need.
Thanks again.

Attached Files

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
GWats...Bet you thought I forgot about you, huh???

This is proving to be interesting to say the least. I have managed to find some drivers for your motherboard, but nothing that addresses the USB problem. Your original MoBo disk would sure be handy about now. Your MoBo is no longer even listed on the Chaintech website.

I'll keep searching...you might try a couple of things while I do. Disconnect all USB devices (other than keyboard or mouse, if USB) Reboot. Once Windows has loaded, plug in your Hub...no other devices with it, just the hub and see if Windows detects a new hardware device. If it does, let it install and reboot.

Run System File Checker by clicking "Start", pointing to "Programs", pointing to "Accessories", pointing to "System Tools", and then clicking "System Information". In System Information, click "Tools", and then click "System File Checker". Let it scan for altered files and copy any it needs from the installation cd.

You might also read up on This Procedure...should the need arise.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 29 September 2005 - 11:16 PM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
I think you guys might be missing the obvious here.... Gwats said this

"One unusual thing I had to do when reinstalling Windows 98se was pull the battery off the motherboard and temporarily switch some wires in order to eliminate a password obstacle that was keeping me from getting into my BIOS setup screen. Might that have altered something?"

Gwats you probably need to go into bios setup and look for a usb setting. somewhere in there is probably a setting to enable/disable and since you pulled the battery I'm guessing it defaults to disable.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
shard's right...you need to enable usb support in your bios, if it was a simple driver issue then the usb devices would show up in device manager...just with yellow ? .... get into your bios and enable your usb stuff...should be under "onboard peripherals" or something like that

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Doh!!!! :tazz: I'd be willing to bet that you guys are absolutly correct.... :)

wannabe1

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
*revokes wannabe1's tech staff status* hehehehehhehe i spent 2 hours on a machine here at work trying to get the usb devices to work...did 4 seperate chipset updates......then i realized how stupid i was.....it's an easy one to miss for sure

GWats

GWats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
That was it, folks! Thanks to all (and please don't be too hard on wannabe1 - if it wasn't for him, I would have never gotten past the BIOS password thing in the first place and never been able to do the reinstall)
Say, while I've got the attention of all this high end help here, let me throw this one at you:
Nero 6.3.0.2 Burning ROM is functioning perfectly for me in all but one aspect. I can burn any data files, straight up or disk to disk, but when I go to burn a new compliation of music, the whole machine locks up as soon as it says 'burn started'. Could it be as simple as an "enable/disable" situation? Or could it be something else that I've overlooked?

Again Thanks for solving the USB problem.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use start smart, click the word Nero, click check for updates and go to 6.6.0.16

When you get to the page with burn, click recording settings and tick test device speed