Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Shuts off after Norton 2005 scan

• Please log in to reply

fencefixer

fencefixer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks for the tip. I did it and there were no updates. I am pretty good about going there all the time. Also. ZONE ALARM deleted telling me that there was several virus in the system and asked me if i want to delete them as well. I did. I was able to get to the SYMclean after that. It was blocked by the MSN firewall. I ran it and it said there was no stored items (or something to that effect). However when i checked the control panel (add and remove) it says Norton is still there at 1.7MB. Gee could it be lying to me????
Thanks what next? One of the others suggested Kerio?

Thanks for your help in this. I think your dream catcher with the wolf's head is just great.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
fencefixer....

I like progress..... :tazz:

Have there been any other Norton products installed on the machine...an older version, perhaps? Try removing it in Add/Remove Programs. You might also check in the Program Files folder and see if there is a Symantec folder there and, if so, what's in it. We need to get it all to prevent problems if you decide to reinstall your Norton AV on down the road.

As for Kerio...It's a good firewall, but you don't really need it. The Windows Firewall, when combined with a decent AV program, is a very adequate defense.

Let me know what you discover about the Norton/Symantec folder and uninstall attempt.

wannabe1

fencefixer

fencefixer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
The latest. Spybot still shuts off the computer in the middle of a scan. Could i have accidently deleted a dll somewhere. I was looking at some a week ago that Norton indicated was a potential backdoor. I don't remember deleting any but,,,,,,
Is there some way to check?
Thanks for you help and the time you take for this. :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
fencefixer...

Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r /f (Again...note the spaces) and reboot when prompted (type Y and press Enter). This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

This procedure will repair or replace any needed system files.

wannabe1

fencefixer

fencefixer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi, the latest....
I checked the add/remove and Symantec still has files that will not remove. I did the reboot that you kindly suggested. After the boot i ran spybot and the machine shut off. It gets up to 12000 of 27000 before the screen goes black and shuts off. Then i tried ad-aware and it ran until it almost finished and it shut the computer off before completing the scan but a message came up in the task bar as an "e error" using the ewido icon. I ran ewido after that and it finished its scan but put the computer in hibernate. I hit the off switch before it completly shut off and I got the reboot in f8 message on a black screen. I waited over 6 minutes and nothing happened so i rebooted it holding the off button down. I looked at the files of the ewido scan I noticed that it contains Symantec files. I have copied it below. Thanks again for your efforts in help me.

Edited by fencefixer, 30 September 2005 - 08:04 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yep...Norton can be tough to get rid of.

Uninstall the spybot application. It's not running a complete scan at the moment so let's get it out of the way. You can reinstall it later if you wish.

Then you need to download three small progams from Symantec to your desktop.
Download SymNRT
Download Rnav2003.exe
Download RnisUPG.exe

Run these programs in the same order that they are listed...SymNRT.exe, nav2003.exe, then RnisUPG.exe...Then run SYMCLN.exe again...Reboot

Please post a HijackThis log for me to peek at...I'm looking for the ever elusive Norton...I will have you edit it out of your post as soon as I check it.

Let me know if this makes a difference in the way your machine is running.

wannabe1

fencefixer

fencefixer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Good Morning. Thanks for you help in this....
I could not get the the bottom two programs to load at all. The first of the three program would not open and i got an erro message that stated "that windows 32 did not support this application". I re-ran the symclean and did a "cleanup" flush. Here is the log. Pesky devil ain't it?
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

Edited by fencefixer, 30 September 2005 - 08:06 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

Pesky devil ain't it?

Yep...it sure is...and we've still got some files to get rid of.

First off, set a System Restore Point (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore) Tick the radio button next to "Create restore point" and click "Next"...Type symantec in the box and click "Create".

Right click My Computer and choose "Explore"...Right click C: (HDD) and choose "Explore"...Right click Program Files and choose "Explore"...Right click Common Files and choose "Explore"...Right click, point to "New", click "Folder", and name the folder "symold"...Right click Symantec and choose "Explore"...There should be files here...copy all files here and paste them in the "symold" folder you just created. Now go back to the Symantec folder and delete all of the files in the folder, then delete the Symantec folder. Reboot your machine and post me a new HJT log. (You can "paste" it in place of the last one...just post that you did so so I'll be notified)

You can also delete the three removal tools you downloaded...we're done with those.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 30 September 2005 - 12:52 PM.

fencefixer

fencefixer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi,
Irecycled the files as you suggested and posteda new log to the previous post. I noticed that there were still some Norton files and I only recycled the Symantec ones. I almost screwed up and moved the Shared Symantec files but I think i put them all back as they were. Thanks again for your time, efforts and help.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
fencefixer...

How's the machine running? Are you still getting errors? There are still some references to symantec in the log, but it appears we got what I was after.

wannabe1

Advertisements

fencefixer

fencefixer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello, again.
Again, thanks for your efforts and help.
I deleted the recycle bin and ran another scan with Ad-Aware. It shut off the computer around 102000 items. I have not tried to do another scan with ewido(reloaded a fresh one this am). I ran another log from hijack. Man, I wish money stuck to me like this thing does......

Here is the other log....

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

Edited by fencefixer, 30 September 2005 - 08:07 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi fencefixer...

Norton's a bit messy, that's for sure.

Click Start and then Run and type services.msc in the "Run" box and click "Ok". Scroll down the list and Stop/Disable all Symantec services that are still running. Right click on the entry and choose "Properties"...in the Properties dialog box, under the "General" tab, from the "Startup Type" drop down menu, select "Disable" Then click the "Stop" button.

Do this for each Symantec service in the list. Be careful...we want only Symantec services. Exit Services, run SYMClean one more time, and reboot.

Let me know about any changes in the way the machine starts and note any errors.

You can now go back to the posts containing logs and edit them out...save a little space.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 30 September 2005 - 07:44 PM.

fencefixer

fencefixer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi Wannabe 1.
My reboot was normal in everyway. The small scan on ad-aware that i did does not shut down. I ran a deep (custom), scan on ad-aware and it shut down. It gave me a error message on the task bar with the e ikon from ewido. I tried to reboot quickly and the computer went up to the log on screen and shut off again. If i wait 30 to 40 seconds i can reboot and it operates. I did a scan with ewido and it shut down at the area of I386 something, something.
I do appreciate all the time and effort you have put into this with me and i feel we are getting close. I was able earlier today to run a scan with the avast (aswclnr.exe). It ran ok. I have spyware doctor on the machine but have not tried it. I also have winpatrol on the machine. Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yep fencefixer...we're getting close....

Remember that folder you created in Program Files (symold)...Navigate to it and delete it (you may have to open the folder and delete the files first, then the folder).

Uninstall AdAware and Ewido (this will be temporary)

We've put this machine through quite a lot so do this REPAIR to your installation of XP one more time. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Go do the Windows Update thing until you are sure you have them all...I think you're pretty good, but the repair might get a couple of them. Then reinstall the AdAware. Save installing the Ewido for a little later.

Let me know how the system is running. (We only have a couple of things left to do!)

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 30 September 2005 - 09:59 PM.

fencefixer

fencefixer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi, Good Morning,
The good news.... the problem is gone. The bad new......it ate my hard drive. The computer kept shuting off so I tried a complete reboot and the thing crashed. It would not reload any of the disks. I called up HP as i have a 3 year warrenty and am only 1.5 years into it. They are sending me a new drive to install. I did save some of my stuff to other disks.
It may be awhile before i get back to you. I had to do this post at the library, a 14 mile drive.
Thanks for all your help and efforts. Ya just cannot control equiptment failure like this case. No wonder it was doing 'weird' things.
Thanks again.