Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD Removal?

• Please log in to reply

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
Good News I found where HDD is! Bad news I cant remove! Let me tell you what happened! I was at a garage sale and saw this computer (CPU Only) for 20 bucks! So I bought it! Then I got to know that its HDD was more than mine!! But the RAM and everything else is beter on my computer :tazz: So now I need to swap the two HDD! How do I do that? I found the HDDs and managed to remove it out of the case but now there is two wires leading from the HDD to the motherboard? One is thin, wide paper-like wire and other is three different colored wires into one! How do I safely remove them?

Any help would be much much aprreciated!

Game Freak

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
They just unplug if it's a normal type of drive. Note the orientation of the plugs, on some you can reverse them and cause problems. Make your new drive a slave or disconnect the other one before making it a master. Better is to slave it first to see how it works then make it master or single and disconnect the other. If it has an OS other than win98 or winME it will have trouble working in a new system and may need to be reformatted. Also in many cases it's better to have the smaller drive the master, especially if it's faster.

WhatThe

WhatThe

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
The flat or "ribbon" cable is for data and the other one is a molex connector for power.

Just unplug them both from the HDD. You may need to use some force to do this, especialy with the power connector. Try and be careful.

WT

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
I knew you had to pull it......I tried was tough I thought I might break it! Thanks how do I connect it? And do I need to press anything while I insert or pull?

WhatThe

WhatThe

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Almost always it is just a matter of pulling them out.

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
Ok Thanks!

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
Okay Im going in! Wish me luck! lol!

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
I removed the molex connector but the other 'ribbon-like' one is a bit tough! I have one more question before pulling it out! Do I just pull the ribbon out with that little black piece which connects the ribbon to the HDD?

Thanks!

WhatThe

WhatThe

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Try and place you finger along the connection and then sorta wiggle it out.

You are more likely to damage the cable than the HDD.

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
Okay Thanks!

Advertisements

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
Major Problem!! I managed to remove the new HDD But when it comes to the old one I removed three screws but the last one is stuck and I cant put the screw driver to the spot!! I cant unsrew it! The side case is blobking my way! I cant remove it either!! Please help!!

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
You should be able to get the side panel off. check for screws on it or sometimes they are just a push fit into the chassis.

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
I have I managed to remove the case (outer case) but there is this another case which I cant remove...no screws....just kept tight using pressure!

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
Whats a chassis?

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff