Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

First Build, need advice

• Please log in to reply

Tenchi

Tenchi

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello everyone. My old Dell dimensions has just about had it. Instead of buying a new dell or another computer system out there, I will try to build my own. This will be my first time building a computer. I have chosen the parts of my new system and I wanted advise to let me know if it is a good or bad approach. I will be using the computer for graphic design as in AutoCAD, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Indesign...ect...

here it goes....

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3700+ / 1MB Cache / 2000MHz FSB / Socket 939 / Processor with Fan
Mobo - BIOSTAR TForce6100-939 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Hard Drive - Maxtor 250GB Serial ATA HD 7200/16MB/S-ATA-150
RAM - (x2) Ultra 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory
DVD RW - Lite-on / 16x4x16x DVD+RW / 12x4x16x DVD-RW / 4x DVD+R DL / 48x24x48x CD-RW / Black-Beige / Internal / DVD Writer
Case - Aspire X-Qpack Blue Micro ATX Tower with Clear Sides, Front USB, FireWire & Audio Ports and 420-Watt Power Supply
Graphics Card - Diablotek NVIDIA GeForce 6600 / 512MB DDR2 / PCI Express / SLI / DVI / VGA / TV-Out / Video Card

How does that look? Also, should I invest in a LAN Card and a Sound Card or just use the integrated? The mobo has 2 PCI slots, 1 PCI express x16 slot and 1 PCI express x1 slot. Please let me know if this will be a good system as I plan to keep this computer for a while.

:tazz:

Thanks in advance!

Edit: changed the mobo to a BIOSTAR TForce6100-939 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard instead of the ECS RS480-M ATX

Edited by Tenchi, 28 September 2005 - 09:32 AM.

Advertisements

Dragons119

Dragons119

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
what core is that cpu

I would get a 6800gt or one of the ATi x800

Tenchi

Tenchi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

what core is that cpu

I would get a 6800gt or one of the ATi x800

View Post

The CPU core is San Diego. Thanks for the suggestions.

roostermilk

roostermilk

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
2 gigs of ram may not be a bad choice for video editing... depends on the level of editing you will be doing. The more ram the merrier... i wanted 4 gigs but I'm just too cheap....

and just a personal preferense... i would go with a regular ATX mobo... but I just like more space to work with...

Edited by roostermilk, 03 October 2005 - 08:23 PM.

Tenchi

Tenchi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yeah, I figure that I would start with 2gigs and see if that will be good enough. If not, then later on down the road, I will get 2gb more since the mobo supports up to 4gb of ram. Actually I just bought the ram:

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Platinum System Memory

Specs:
Cas Latency: 2
Heat Spreader: Yes
Timing: 2-3-2-5
Voltage: 2.6V

They had a rebate going on that ended last Friday, so I jumped on it to take advantage of the price.

roostermilk

roostermilk

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
good call. never can have too much ram.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If the mobo is just cause you want a small PC i would go with standard ATX the micro atx mobos have fewer features than the big bros in the ATX standard, they can have the same chipset but you will have a faster motherboard and PC with regular ATX it also helps for cooling as you arent building a cool PC its going to need some cooling and in the smaller standard you may have to employ some rather exotic cooling solutions to keep your PC cool enough.

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Unless you want this computer to be a small form factor PC, I would suggest getting an ATX mobo. From the system you are describing, This thing is probably going to generate some serious heat. Plus the bigger mobo, the more room to work with. I still find myself squinting at the jumpers on my ATX mobo.

The video cards everybody has suggested here are pretty much standards in the gaming computer world, but have you looked at some of the cards made especially for CAD? Yes, they are pricey, but if all you are doing is drawing on this computer, the Ge-force Quadro GPU is the way to go. But, if you want to play a few games and CAD, the 6800 GT (or higher) is better.