Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot boot to 98SE

• Please log in to reply

tomatojay

tomatojay

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
ok well i com into a computer that someone else has worked on and now i have to finish. the problem is i don't know what was done on it before. i guess there were many errors and issues with dll files. i was told that that stuff was fixed and the computer worked fine.

then someone tried to remove norton. i'm not sure if it was just the anti-virus or internet security. also i don't know what version it was. I'd assume it was an older one (2002 or someting) seeing as how the computer has windows 98 SE on it.

now after all that was done the computer won't boot in normal mode. safe mode works fine. but when i try and boot in normal mode i get...

"Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer. press any key to contuine."

any help would be greatly appreciated.

jay

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well you could start by going to safe mode and running msconfig and using selective startup to turn off the startup items. If it boots then you know it's something in that area that is the problem.

tomatojay

tomatojay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
well i'm trying all that. i've gone through the start up it's nothing in there. it's not anything int he autoexe file or the config files. i'm going through the protected-driver mode right now.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi tomatojay...Welcome to G2G!

Norton products are very messy when not removed properly. Download THIS removal tool from the Symantec site. Save it to a floppy and run it on the problem machine in Safe Mode. Depending on which products were on your machine, this downlaod will remove most of the older ones. If you continue to have problems, please post back...

wannabe1

tomatojay

tomatojay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
yea i know all about norton crap. that's what caused the problem in the first place. the computer was cleaned and then the removal tool for norton was used. after the tool was used is when the windows protection error came up. i've been to nortons site and checked their help. they say goto the reg and delete some keys. the thing is the keys aren't there. so the removal tool worked. it just messed with system files somehow. that's what i'm trying to find out now.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
tomatojay...

Let's try to restore the system to an earlier time. Reboot the machine and tap the F8 key during the boot sequence just as you would to enter Safe Mode...On the options screen, choose the "Command prompt only" option and press "Enter". You should be presented with a command prompt (C:\) or (C:\Windows>) If C:\, type Windows and press "Enter"...at C:\Windows\, type command and press "Enter"...at the C:\Windows\command\ prompt, type scanreg /restore (Note the space before the /...the final command should appear C:\Windows\command\scanreg /restore) and press "Enter"...You will be presented with a screen containing five "snapshots" of your system you can restore to. Use the arrow keys and choose one (go down two to be safe) and press "Enter"...type Y at the prompt and press "Enter". Reboot.

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

tomatojay

tomatojay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
ok tried that. when it was restarted it was coming up with errors about norton. and wouldn't go in to normal mode still. i'm going to try and remove norton stuff now if they are back.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
tomatojay...

Use the Norton Removal Tool right off the bat.......

wannabe1

tomatojay

tomatojay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
um.... well thanks it worked. windows 98SE is back up and running.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
tomatojay... :tazz: It was my pleasure!

If you need further assistance with this problem, please post back to this thread.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 28 September 2005 - 01:04 PM.