Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading Dell 4550

• Please log in to reply

djaussie

djaussie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have a dell 4550 p4 2.66 with 1gig ram, fx 5900 256mb gfx. I know that it is near impossible to upgrade dell computers and i will never buy one again. However, the psu is only a 350, would upgrading it too 500 or 600 be benifical, also does anyone know any good sites that has dell compatible parts.

or should i just get rid of it and buy a whole new machine.

Aussie

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I suggest you check out http://www.powerleap.com/PL-iP3T.jsp Run the power leap upgrade configurator. I did this for my PIII 450Mhz HP (slot 1 cpu) and found they had an upgrade to 1.2 Ghz. I bought it. I found out about this from a friend that has a Dell 500 Mhz PIII and he had done the same. HP had told me I the max upgrade I could do on my computer was 850 Mhz. It sure works good at 1.2 Ghz!

I have to say the site is not very user friendly, somewhat difficult to navigate. I have run the confugrator on my newer computers and if no upgrade is available, it tells me so. No way to tell until you run the configurator.

Edited by austin_o, 03 October 2005 - 07:06 AM.