Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP home login problem

• Please log in to reply

nickyboy1

nickyboy1

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
:tazz: I have reinstalled XP home. I have in C:\docs and settings a folder with all my desktop and settings. How can I choose to use this folder on bootup.In the control panel User accounts I don't have this account available to me, how can I make this folder- account available.

Advertisements

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
Do you have Admin Privilages?

nickyboy1

nickyboy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
From run control userpasswords2, I have 2 accounts Administrator, and 1 other, Not the account I would like to use. Both have administraor usage

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Taking Ownership in XP
http://support.micro...1&Product=winxp
Johanna

nickyboy1

nickyboy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi Czarina, I right click the folder but I only have 3 tags General, Sharing, Customze. On the general tag I have Advance but not with the correct tag

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I have never test this, but i have read serval time that in XP Home you can only do it in safe mode.
I use a .bat file to do the same thing, open notepad and copy this in
cacls "Folder" /E /G owner:F
where is says folder, type the path to that folder that you what to take ownership of, and where is says owner, type your user name. Then save it as takeownership.bat making sure that you are saving it as all file types. If you save it to the desktop you will be able to find it.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 29 September 2005 - 06:14 AM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
To access the traditional sharing and security tabs and manage permissions manually on these computers, go to Windows Explorer or My Computer, click the Tools menu, click Folder Options, click the View tab, and then clear the "use simple file sharing" check box.

Johanna