Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Lost Everything on the HD - Please Help

• Please log in to reply

jenssey

jenssey

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So I got a new hard drive. A IDE 320 GB HD. Real nice. I was filling up my old 120 GB SATA (didn't know type at the time) with huge mixes, picture files etc. So I was advised to get the Western Digital one.

Okay... so here's the deal. It was hooked up and nothing.... no response. Windows knew it was there but wouldn't read it. So I ended up downloading software (NewEgg doesnt give nothing - not even a box) to recognize it. Then the software formatted the big drive and told Windows hey it exists. So that's cool. But why not start fresh? It's a good idea to format one or twice a year. So I moved all my important [bleep] to the big drive to reformat the smaller one. I should have made backup CDs too.

Anyway, so time to start fresh, right? Reformated the old HD and install windows (or so I thought). No, something screwy happened. Seemed like all my old [bleep] was there from the other drive. So maybe I formated incorrectly somehow. I did the format again. Well, now all was gone. So I thought its cool. More problems later, had to reformat again.

WHY?? There are a lot more details. BASICALLY WHAT HAPPENED is that computer BIOS was set to load the IDE drive instead of the SATA. So my first format probably formated the 320GB drive instead of the SATA but I didn't know that at the time. Then we got it proper setup, drive had to be formated, but then windows wouldnt load.

What happened was we ended up setting the BIOS to SCSI from HDD1 for the third loading device. Windows kept trying to load that big hard drive because who knows. Maybe it has preference of IDE over SATA to look for the OS when the 3rd device is set to HH1. What the....

There's a lot more to this too. But thats what happened.

The short version: Messed up the format, lost everything I tried to save on the storage hard drive.

If anyone has any suggestions please please help! I'm tryin Stellar Phoenix but not a lot of luck I don't think.

Edited by jenssey, 28 September 2005 - 11:53 AM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I suggest that you buy "Recovery My Files", you can google for it and find it easy enough. As long as you haven't done anything else to the hard drive since it was accidentally formatted, you will be able to get back 100% of the files that were lost. It has a FAST FORMAT option that is used when you accidentally format a hard drive but haven't done anything with it yet.

Good luck!

Fenor

jenssey

jenssey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I suggest that you buy "Recovery My Files", you can google for it and find it easy enough.  As long as you haven't done anything else to the hard drive since it was accidentally formatted, you will be able to get back 100% of the files that were lost.  It has a FAST FORMAT option that is used when you accidentally format a hard drive but haven't done anything with it yet.

Good luck!

Fenor

View Post

Thing is... I did :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Then you may have done something wrong. What EXACTLY did you do after your hard drive was accidentally reformatted?

Edited by Fenor, 29 September 2005 - 07:22 AM.