Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow computer that freezes!

• Please log in to reply

shallbaby33

shallbaby33

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My computer is about 8 months old. It was fine for awhile, but for the past few months it has gotten slower and slower! now, it keeps freezing. when i switch over from one account to another it freezes. when I am on the internet, it freezes. even when i try to open files, it freezes. I can't pinpoint why it does this. Sometimes it gives me messages like: "real player blah blah blah, is not a valid image" or when i start it up 2 "run file" boxes pop up saying that the publisher cannot be verified, and asks me whether to still run it. its these weird pop up boxes plus its frustratingly slow speed thats driving me off the wall. many times everything on the screen disappears and the boxes wont minimize... the only thing i can do is force it to shutdown. it freezes when i press "control, alt, delete" too. i clean out my cookies, ive defragmented it, i run ad-aware often, and deleted limewire off of my computer. nothing seems to help!!! :tazz:

what can I do to get my computer running normally again? please help! i know you guys are a lot smarter with this stuff than I am, and i could use any help you can give me!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try going into safe mode (WITH NETWORKING) and do a couple of things that you would normally do in normal mode. Obviously you wont be able to do everything you could do in normal mode, but if it doesn't freeze while doing things in safe mode that narrows down the problem.

Post back with details.

Fenor

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go shallbaby33!

Form what you said, about the gradual slow down, I would say you have been just building up with malware, a very easy thing to happen to any one. This would cause the computer to freezes sometimes. Read This and then post in the Malware Forum not here!

If you what to after have all malware removed read This if you still want a faster computer.

If you have any questions post here an I will try to answer them.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 29 September 2005 - 06:51 AM.