Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

MY activation code

• Please log in to reply

old momma

old momma

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
I bought a new windows xp pro a few months ago and installed in on a company computer that had went down, rebuilt computer , installed win software. this computer does not go on the internet so I called to activate the new software, they had me to type in different codes than what came with the software, I did what they told me and everything has been great UNTIL my husband crashed the computer, now I have to activate it again, but I did not write the new codes down, I know they have to be in the computer, but how do I find them, I have seen one topic like this one, but now that I have the problem, I cannot find the topic again, I have checked the 35 pages of forum , and now I can not hardly see. Please help me and tell me again how to do it and I will write the instructions down this time and put them with my new disk. Thank You, Brenda

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Have you formatted the system already??

Murray

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hi again, good to see you back on here. no, I thought I should consult someone before I do anything.

When I called the original code in to activate the cd, I gave them 5 sets of codes, but they had me to type in 7 sets of codes. I did not understand that, why didn't the codes that come with the disk work?

Edited by old momma, 28 September 2005 - 07:04 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Who did you call?? If it was Microsoft, they gave you activation codes NOT the Key Code..

You will need to call them again and explain the problem ..

Murray

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
By the time I got to sit down to look at the computer, it was to late to call microsoft
The product key code that came with the original disk, I have it. But what I need to do is find the activation codes they gave me when I called my product key code in to them. Where would it be on the computer. I typed it in the computer as they was giving it to me and did not write it down. I am just trying to get it back up so he can take it back into the shop in the morning. Thanks.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
The activation code won't be anywhere in a recognizeable format..Go to the C:\Windows\System32 folder (you may have to click on the link that says "Show The contents of this folder") Find the files "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" That's the code..

If you've legitimately lost your activation code, you may be able to get assistance from Microsoft by calling them. This applies to both Windows and Office. But you must have a legitimate copy of the product in order to do so.

Murray

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
the activation request code comes up on the screen when you select to activate over the phone...if the only way you are able to activate is over the phone...then you need to read them that number every time...if it doesn't recognize the number (it being the automated sercice) then you need to talk to a human being...and tell them that you had to do a format reinstall

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I have had to activate by phone, once you have done this, it will work with your product key next time you install as long as haven't made major changes

They won't need the 7 set number at the shop

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

Here is a link to a small free program that will let you see the CD Key entered for your installed copy of Windows XP. Very useful if helping friends/family reformat or reinstall windows and you can make sure you have the CD Key for that copy of Win XP before any changes to the hard drive.

http://www.magicalje...keyfinder.shtml

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
May i ask whats the thing at the bottom of the laptop is that the code ?

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
HI again, sorry I have not gotten back to you, but been very sick, just got out of bed a few hours ago. Thank you to Murray ,dsenette, keith, qust0208, and cleverboy12 for all your suggestions, I have decided I will just go ahead and call
microsoft, they do not charge me for it anyways. I might just go ahead and put it on the internet and activate it that away, I just would hate for it to get a virus, it has never been on the internet, it is still pure.lol Thank you very much for your help. It is really nice to beable to come to you and ask for help and it means so much to me, more than you know. May GOD Bless you all.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here for a firewall

http://www.filehippo...ware/firewalls/

Try here for Anti Virus

http://www.filehippo...ware/antivirus/

Zone Alarm firewall and AVG anti virus is a popular choice

Try here for anti spyware programmes

http://www.filehippo...re/antispyware/

Adaware SE, Spybot Search and Destroy, Spywareblaster and Microsoft anti spyware are the ones you need

Download and install one firewall and one anti virus programme then the anti spyware programmes, close them then open each one and update them before running them

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hi, there again, I have been meaning to get back with ya since the fourth, this past monday, but anyways, thank all of you, I did call microsoft and Keith you was right, I did not need the 7 batch of codes they gave me the 1st time I called it in, all I needed was the same thing I gave them the last time, my product code key.
I am so glad that is out of the way. Thank all of you so much. Is there a software for husbands to keep them from messing up the computers?lol.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting us know

Maybe you can get a PC case which looks like a hoover, he won't go near it then