Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

icons

• Please log in to reply

Irish49

Irish49

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have 2 problems. 1) One pc has no icons on the desktop when I start up the pc. After rebooting several times and doing a windows XP repair, I still have the same problem.
2) After I power up and get to the desktop the pc shows a blue screen with lots of words and then within 3-4 seconds, it reboots again. I unplugged the power and all the connections, I checked inside the case for any damage. I then did an xp repair and now I get the names of some of the corrupt files i.e. sav2.exe and 2 other files that I do not recognize (they're about 7-8 letters long). Should I reformat both h.d.? What causes no icons to appear on the desktop.
They are both Dells GX260's. :tazz:

Thanks

Advertisements

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
I would also suggest you to boot to safe mode and uninstall the latest install software. And remove any new hardware added to the system.

Your System problem could be because of unnecessary programs at the startup.
Just boot to safemode and clear the startup items.
start->run->type msconfig, hit enter. Click on startup tab and clear all the programs except firewal and antivirus.

Also your system is crashing with some errors and restarting. To stop it from doing automatic restarts, right click on "my computer", click properties, click advanced, click "startup and recovery", then uncheck "Automatic Restart". Once you do that i will show you the "Stop error" next time the system crashes.

Irish49

Irish49

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your post. I did as you said. I rebooted to Safe Mode. At that point if I was rebooting normally to windows I would have gotten to the desktop and then the pc would have again rebooted. But when I was in safe mode, it didn't do that right away. I was able to go to My Computer and then properties, advanced etc. and unclick automatic restart. When it did reboot I got the blue screen with all those words I don't understand : ) No new software or hardware was installed lately.
It froze at that point so I shut down. Can you give me the next step on what to do? Or should I just reformat and be done with it?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here first

http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
The exact error message on that blue screen would help.

Johanna

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
hi Irish
you may note down the Stop error code on the blue crash screen and post it here. These codes are helpful in finding out what kind of crash was it.
Also you might have noticed a message all in caps. Post that here, it will be something like "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" or "IRQ_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL_TO" .

gerald.janda

gerald.janda

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
did u get your computer working right.. i just got mine working... it was wininet.dll file that was corrupted or missing.. or what ever it was... its working now.. .if you still need help.. let me know... get back with me... i will show you the way...
experience is the best way to learn and gain knowledge... but yeah..my comp had the same symptoms... no icons.... then.. no background.. then.. it was jsut like... What the...... anyways... holla...gerald...