Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Few questions on...

• Please log in to reply

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
Hey Can someone please fill me in?

What is an ISP?

What does it do?

Does it store your internet history?

Is it possible to clear it? (Im not the one that wants to know that)

How easy is it to get your hands on a person's ISP History or even ISP?

Thanks for any help provided!

Advertisements

chirp

chirp

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Hey an isp stand for internet service provider(is it the company for provides your interent service i.e AOL)..... I am not sure how to get someones isp but i know if they have it they can't do too much harm. As for them keeping your history I am not exactly sure on that

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
Ok Thanks! Anymore?

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
I think that they get logs sent to them about the history.

It is not possible to clear the ISP's log of history but your computers.

They cannot give it away to a third party unless given permission to.

Does that answer you questions ? :tazz:

Tensaei

Tensaei

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Hey an isp stand for internet service provider(is it the company for provides your interent service i.e AOL)..... I am not sure how to get someones isp but i know if they have it they can't do too much harm.  As for them keeping your history I am not exactly sure on that

View Post

Whoahoho...
They can do some serious damge if they get your IP number, I should know. Happened to me...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i quess that's the most important part of the question....do you mean ISP or IP?

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
well

IP means Internet Protocol

ISP means Internet Service Provider
:tazz:

Tensaei

Tensaei

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Err...
Opps?
Lol, never mind what I said then.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you mean IP?

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Gotta love the Alphabet Soup........grab a spoon everybody... :tazz:

An ISP is an INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER (Verizon, AOL, Compuserve, SBC, Adelphia, TimeWarner..et al) I think you get the idea.

An IP ADDRESS is a unique for a given device on a TCP/IP network

An ISP provides you an IP address when you log on to their network. Your ISP may (and probably does) keep a log of your activities - web sites visited, email sent and received, among other things anything you do while conencted to their network they have every right to log. This is not as bad as it sounds, most ISPs require a court order to release personal information to a third party. i know what you are thinking but no in most definitions your email address is not really personal information ([email protected]) doesn't really identify you INDIVIDUALLY...personal information would be defined as, full name, address, phone number, date of birth, SS#, credit card number....

Now for the bad part....YOUR IP ADDRESS IS SACRED..do not give it to anybody, post it anywhere, or let it be displayed whenever possible. With your IP address anybody can connect to your computer, using DAMEWARE, PCAnywhere, NetMeeting, there are hundreds of ligitimate software products that will connect to your computer(not to mention il-legitamate warez)and do anything they want to your computer,unless you have a router or other security policies or rules in place

Edited by brianmil0923, 29 September 2005 - 03:14 PM.

Advertisements

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
Thanks I mean both? Is it possible to clear the history? Because somewhere I read people can get their hands on them easily??

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
Oh okay! I have a router but Somewhere I read people can read your ISP History??

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
No not your ISP history..(not anymore than they can read your phone bill)..if they get your IP address it may be possible for people to get YOUR WEB BROWSER HISTORY..which is a list of all the web sites you have gone to!

But, if you are behind a router that has NAT (Network Address Translation), that goes a long way towards protecting you.

NAT - works like this. My ISP assigns me an IP address, my router attaches that IP address to its WAN interface. MY router then in turn gives my computer an IP address (192.168.x.x).

My computer is hidden behind the router, when my computer wants to send information to the internet, the router takes the private address and translates it to a public address:

so if i was using telenet it would look something like this:

192.168.1.47:23-------------into NAT router------207.46.130.108:23

Edited by brianmil0923, 29 September 2005 - 05:27 PM.

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
How can I read my ISP History?

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
you can't there is no such thing as an ISP history...your BROWSER HISTORY, you can look at by going into history in your web browser. In IE click on the little sundial looking thing with the green arrow.