Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Few questions on...

• Please log in to reply

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
So you mean that ISP or IP doesn't store your internet history? :tazz:

Advertisements

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
Browser History?? What if that is cleared?? Then what?

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
How do you know if your router has NAT?

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
then nothing, you just have to type in the whole URL of the site you want to go.

If you use IE and you start typing in the address line..what happens? That information is stored in the history. Also some sites may take a little longer to load. That's it..

Your ISP doesn' keep a single file on your activity. It is information that is contained in the log files on their various servers. When you log into the network a server logs successful/unsuccessful login attempts, when you send an email the email server has a copy of your email in the datastore, when you go to a website the proxy server puts that into the log file.

Once again an ISP is a company providing your internet connection, an IP is a number like 192.168.1.1

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
Yeah but one of my uncles (computer technician) said that to check your ISP Historu to see which sites have beenn visited! So are you sure you cant do that?

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
So you cant contact the guys and ask for a book for all the sites ever visited from a IP? You can......or can you?

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

when you go to a website the proxy server puts that into the log file.

View Post

So can you read that log??? :tazz: :)

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
NO, not unless you hack the companies equipment and figure out what kinda of proxy server they are running and where they put the log files......

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
Oh ok Thanks but I am [bleep] sure that you can call the guys (ISP) Like mine Internet provider is Optus so you call them ask them to mail you all the sites ever visited! Isn't that posiible??? But still I trust you! I mean you are sure so Thanks so much you made me feel much safer!!!

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
No they will not and cannot send that kind of information....look at it this way, if i knew what phone company you had and i called them and asked them to mail me an itemized (or any kind ) copy of your bill. What do you think they would say??

Also keep in mind that many ISPs are phone companies or cable companies.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Hey, Game Freak- it would not be wise to assume anything online is private, ever. The FBI could get your ISP to divulge the records for example. The casual user is not going to get your records unless they have physical access to your computer. Then they would need to know where to look, and your passwords, etc. You can make it difficult for people to trace your internet activities, but it slows down surfing quite a bit. We trade convenience for privacy. Using proxy servers may cause delays, and regularly dumping temp files means everything has to be downloaded again. Strong passwords are an effective "casual snooper" deterrent. You can also configure most firewalls not to log events.

Johanna

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
Oh Thanks and so the ISP or IP doesn't store your internet activity and I cant look at my history? So they is no way I can ask them to mail me all the sites ever accesed on this computer? Am I right?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Yeah but one of my uncles (computer technician) said that to check your ISP Historu to see which sites have beenn visited! So are you sure you cant do that?

he's talking about your browser history stored in internet explorer or mozilla firefox (whichever you use). you can check this any time you want. if your uncle is telling you to check anything with your isp as far as history....then he's a goober....the amount of paper work to get YOUR OWN records from your ISP is impossible....and even then...thos records won't be easy to read....nor will they contain anything helpfull.

there are records that involve your ip that your ISP keeps...such as usage, and sites visited (which they sometimes sell to companies who then in turn give you directed spyware).

basically if i understand where y our'e going with your line of questioning....you need to check your IE history...and leave your ISP alone...most of the time no one care's about y our IE history...if they wan't to track your internet usage....they do a "drive by" spyware install...not hack into your computer and look at your IE history..

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
To expand on what desenette just said:
Your ISP (Internet Service Provider) is not going to divulge your records, and if they did, reading the logs would give you a headache.

Your browsing history is stored on the local machine. You can dump the files (which will slow future browsing of those sites) or you can use a strong password to discourage any snooping on your system. Unless malicious software is installed on your system, like spyware, keyloggers etc., your uncle or anyone else is not going to see your activity unless they have physical access to the machine you used.

Perhaps if you tell us what specifically you would prefer to keep private we can give you ideas about how to protect exactly what you want, instead of speaking in generalities. If you are concerned that uncle is going to hack into your computer from his house, bypass your firewall, and see where you have been on the internet, don't lose any more sleep over it. Tell him to quit yanking your chain.

Johanna

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
Well I have been to some sites that he told me not to go (not anything illegal or anything) it is this site a software site and you get these really cool softwares like when you open up an email attachment it splashes you with a pie and so on like 'pranks' but then I couldn't resists! But I got over it and got a new HDD and replaced it with the old one and chucked away the old one! So yeah thats about it!!