Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Word Template location member problem

• Please log in to reply

wretsub

wretsub

• Pip
  • 5 posts
This is going to be hard to explain... but here it goes...

When I open a new document, and pick new, template and I get all the templates by folders as with tabs across the top...

When I go to the "MORE" tab and see other folders... and pick one of these folders..when I open one folder .. I see my documents repeated several times.

Does that make sense..

However when I go to my location thru windows explorer and navigate to the directory it shows the files only once.

All other folders seem to work correctly, but not this one.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem (even if it does make sense...)

Thanks for the help

Wretsub

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi Wretsub
Office 97 0r 2000 0r 2003 or xp ?

wretsub

wretsub

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i am so sorry, I know better. It is office 2003.

Let me try and explain the problem better (if i can). When I open a new document, on the document, there are lines showing the margins.

The bad thing is that I remember see this tip in an article, and tried it out. (been a while since I saw the tip, However, now I want to return to the a normal view..

Thanks for any help in this better

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Not sure if I am with you 100% but lets try
Go to the top of word click on view click on normal.
Is this what you are after?
If you want to get rid of the rulers unclick rulers.
If not let me know and we will try to suss it out

wretsub

wretsub

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

Thanks for trying to help...

No, this is nothing to do with rulers.

In normal view, picutre the blank document, and drawn on the blank document is 4 lines showing the space available for writing your document.

If you type outside of these line, it gives you visual warning what will print on your paper.

Does that help? I know this is really a strange problem and wish I could remember where I got this tip from..

Thanks again for trying to help.. I do appreciate it very much.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Sorry I now understand. 2 Methods
1) delete the normal.dot file and word wil recreate it as the original file

2) On the File menu, click Open, and then navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates.

If no templates are listed in the Open dialog box, click the arrow next to the Files of type box, and then click Document Templates.

2. Double-click the Normal.dot file to open it. To be certain that you're working in the default template, check to see that Normal.dot appears in the Word title bar.
3. Make any changes you want, using the menus and dialog boxes just as you would to change default settings for a document, but remember that any changes you make to Normal.dot will be applied to documents that you create in the future.
4. When you have finished, on the Standard toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options that you use to carry out commands. To display a toolbar, click Customize on the Tools menu, and then click the Toolbars tab.), click Save .

Note  If Normal.dot is renamed, damaged, or moved, Word automatically creates a new version (which uses the original default settings) the next time that you start Word. The new version will not include any customizations you made to the version that you renamed or moved.

wretsub

wretsub

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the information,

I will give it a try today at work and will let you know...

I really do appreciate the help very much and thank you

Clif

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
No problem
let me know how you go