Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very Slow Start Up-Windows ME

• Please log in to reply

jeshua

jeshua

• Pip
  • 2 posts
[F[SIZE=1][B]ONT=Arial]
Hello: I have a Windows ME--I installed Verizon DSL w/MSN Premium 2 days ago--Before that, I did a Recovery of my computer. I had no problems with startup before the install of DSL. At startup, it now takes at least 5-10 minutes before you can do anything. It is very, very slow. I looked at the Startup Programs List and there are 32! Could this be my problem? I am not computer literate, so if someone could please help me? I paid HP $60 for 30 min. of help with no resolution. If someone could please tell me which of the Programs I need to check or uncheck, I would so very much appreciate your help--I am stressed out for trying to resolve this problem. Computer also freezes--can't Cont./Alt/Delete to shut down sometimes, have to press button on CPU. LIST OF PROGRAMS:
Money Agent - MSNMsgr - Scan Registry - Task Monitor - PCHealth - System Tray - Load Power Profile - Hidserv - CPQEASYACC - EACLEAN - CPQInet - Digital Dashboaard - Service Connection - Country Selection - PCTVOICE - RealTRAY - MotiveMonitor - Motive SmartBridge - AVerizonApp - Load QM - VSO Check Task - Virus Scan Online - MCAgent Exe - MCUpdate Exe - Load Power Profile - Scheduling Agent - StateMgr - MSNIA - MCVsRte - KB891711 - CalReminder Shortcut - Compaq Knowledge Center
If you have any other advise you feel I may need, I would be eternally grateful!
Thank you, Jeshua :tazz:

Advertisements

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Hello Jeshua,

U cud actually uncheck these from the list, i dont think u need them to on the startup list.
Money Agent - MSNMsgr - Service Connection - Hidserv - CPQEASYACC - EACLEAN - CPQInet - Digital Dashboaard - Service Connection - Country Selection - PCTVOICE - RealTRAY - MotiveMonitor - Motive SmartBridge - AVerizonApp -MSNIA - MCVsRte - KB891711 - Compaq Knowledge Center

Also how much RAM do u have? you might think of adding more. Other things wud be to ensure its not a heat problem and also what about HD space? Are u sure this isnt due to spyware?

As general troubleshooting for the slowdown, i would suggest you run a disk cleanup run scan disk and defragment. A system loaded with crap and a badly fragmented drive can slow down things.
http://www.microsoft...ted/speed.mspx/
Gud luck!

jeshua

jeshua

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you so very much! It was a long message I know, but thanks for responding. I will do what you suggested.

jeshua :tazz: :)