Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

putor freezes when trying to copy music files

• Please log in to reply

anne.ardern

anne.ardern

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello everyone, I am at my wits end.... I have looked and followed advice from every forum I can find on this problem to no avail, the problem is, when trying to copy/convert songs to or from media player (9, fully updated) or (itunes latest version fully uppdated) from either files on the putor or from a cd in D or E drives the putor freezes, needing a reset. so far I have checked that the drives are compatable, (they are) that the latest drivers are installed (done) that the putor running xp is up to date with all security patches, done everything the malwere forum asks you to do, clicked on every bell and whistle setting the windows/apple forums advise you to try, and still no joy.
the putor has 256 ram and a big memory that I have scandisked/defraged/registry checked/tuned up/ I have turned off every unneccesary programme at startup and prayed to any god that may be listening but still it crashes when asked to copy from disc or from media player to itunes and vice versa,
the only thing I can see is when booting up is the first line says 128 ram? where windows says 256 ram, I cant seem to get into 'set up' (press and hold F2)
any suggestions?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download Everest Home Edition here

Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on right for Motherboard - System Memory to check it is showing 256MB

You should consider adding another 256MB of RAM Memory

Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 until you get options, select safe mode with networking

See if you can transfer music from disc to media player

Boot the PC and keep tapping F2 or delete to get the set up screen

anne.ardern

anne.ardern

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi
thanks for your help so far...
I downloaded Everest and have pasted the report below,
I booted up in safe mode with networking and tried to copy a cd (nina simone!!) it froze the putor after about ripping six songs and completed the cd after a reboot,
tried the same thing with itunes, which took a very long time to load up? it crashed within second of starting the rip.
tried to copy the Nina Simone tracks from Media to itunes after a reboot in safe mode, instant freeze!
I had several goes at accessing the boot up, pressed and held F2/tapped like a madwoman/pressed and held delete/tapped del. like the previously mentioned madwoman/held delete and tapped F2 like a madwoman with RSI and vica versa. but it wont let me in? it justs loads windows or offers me the safe mode options. have you got any further suggestions on how to make this putor bend to my will?
--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer NA-LUTIQFWFFVCM (Toms Super Dooper Computer)
Generator USER
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2005-09-29
Time 12:45

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
DirectX 4.09.00.0900 (DirectX 9.0)
Computer Name NA-LUTIQFWFFVCM (Toms Super Dooper Computer)
User Name USER

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 1666 MHz 2000+
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset SiS 746/746FX/748
System Memory 256 MB
BIOS Type Unknown
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Bluetooth Communications Port (COM10)
Communication Port Bluetooth Communications Port (COM11)
Communication Port Bluetooth Communications Port (COM4)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter nVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter SiS 7012 Audio Device

Storage:
IDE Controller SiS PCI IDE Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive Maxtor 6Y080P0 (80 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
Optical Drive ASUS DVD-E616P (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
Optical Drive SONY DVD RW DW-U14A (DVD+RW:4x/4x, DVD-RW:4x/2x, DVD-ROM:8x, CD:24x/16x/32x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 78152 MB (52961 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse HID-compliant mouse
Mouse Microsoft PS/2 Mouse
Game Controller Microsoft PC-joystick driver

Network:
Network Adapter MAC Bridge Miniport - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Network Adapter SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (192.168.1.2)
Modem Bluetooth Modem
Modem Intel® 536EP Modem

Peripherals:
USB1 Controller SiS 7001 PCI-USB Open Host Controller
USB1 Controller SiS 7001 PCI-USB Open Host Controller
USB2 Controller SiS 7002 USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
USB Device Bluetooth USB Device
USB Device Logitech Microphone (Zoom)
USB Device Logitech QuickCam Zoom
USB Device Logitech USB Camera (Zoom)
USB Device USB Human Interface Device

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Apart from the expense, adding RAM Memory is probably the easiest thing you can do to the inside of a PC

That is what I would do here, after checking all the drivers are up to date

Use Everest Summary to get the names of the drivers, soundcard especially, look on the manufacturer's site for updated drivers

You could click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then disc defragmenter, if you see a lot of red here, that would contribute negatively

Try Tune Up 2006 trial here

http://www.tune-up.com

Run disc clean up then registry clean up, click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

After the reboot, run tune up, click optimize, system optimization, optimize the computer, use the drop down to select computer with an internet connection

When you boot the PC, press pause break when it shows the motherboard logo, this should hold it on the screen and it should have press " whatever " to enter set up on there