Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having problems with my new Vid Card

• Please log in to reply

Oldferrari

Oldferrari

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a pretty old system, but recieved a new vid card for XMas. It was a GeForce 5500 FX, and it would keep failing the Direct3D Test in DXDiag, giving the error message: Direct3D 7 test results: Failure at step 32 (User verification of Direct3D rendering): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code) This would cause the cars to be invisible in F1 Challenge, but the game still kinda ran ok, but didnt notice any improvements in FPS or graphic quality.
This was running the newest available drivers (67.02). I finally tried a few older drivers, and it finally would pass the Direct3D 7 test with the 61.77 drivers. Still didnt notice much improvement in graphic or FPS, but the game ran, and the car was actually visible! What a concept!

Then noticed a sale on a FX 5700LE OC card, so I swapped out the 5500 for it. Now with either set of drivers, the game still will get really really pixelated, and the FPS drops to about 5, along with the color getting screwey, and images blinking and flashing.
This happens immediately with the 61.77 drivers, but it seems like it takes a few mins for it to happen with the 67.XX drivers. Ive tried running different resolutions and 16 and 32 bit color with no difference. As well as having the same problem of failing the Direct3D Diag with the newer drivers, while still passing with the older drivers. Ive tried upgrading my chipset drivers, and I think im using the right ones, but compaq isnt the most helpful with this kind of stuff. Im thinking maybe the power supply could be slowing up the card? But it would still run I would have thought if that was the issue...

System Specs:
Compaq 5004cl
AMD Athlon 1 gHz
Windows XP Pro
DirectX 9.0c
512mb PC 133
GeForce FX 5700LE OC
250 watt power supply

Could it be my system just isnt up to snuff to run this card? Or something else? Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
have you tried re-installing directX? i'll get back to you if i can come up with some more ideas

Oldferrari

Oldferrari

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yeah, ive tried reinstalling any programs/drivers I could find without any luck. Thank for the reply though :tazz:

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
try to use the video card in a friends sstem or soemthing, but make sure it is backed up first, it might be your computer that is causing the issues, it might be your weak power supply, i think that one requires liek a 300watt or 350watt i think, but i can almost guentee it is the weak power supply, that could cause issues like that