Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"PPPoE send PADI" in router security log

• Please log in to reply

xrayion

xrayion

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi experts,

Please kindly help me out ! :tazz:

I suddenly lost my internet connection last night. Now the problem is that I cannot go online. I have a SMC 11mps wireless router and the status of Cable/DSL in the Status page is showing as : DISCONNECTED. I tried clicking on the "Connect" button but it doesn't work.

From the Security Log, I see the following:
08:18:07 PPPoE send PADI
08:18:02 PPPoE send PADI
08:17:57 PPPoE send PADI
08:17:52 PPPoE send PADI
08:17:52 Dial On Demand (PPPoE)

I am certain that I am using the correct username and password for my ISP (SBC Yahoo!). Based on the security log, it seems like the router cannot even reach a point to attempt to try the given username and password. Also, the All the lights on the router are normal: Power, WLAN, and WAN lights are all solid green. I am also able to connect to the computers in my local network without any problem. Each computer in the network has been assigned an IP address, as well.

I have tried my usual tricks to reset/restart the router; turned off and on the cable modem; unplug the necessary cables and re-plug in the cables with no luck......

Please kindly advise.... I really appreciate for your help since I really need to have internet connection at home for my school work.

Thanks a million!

Raymond

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you tried calling sbc?

xrayion

xrayion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes, I called SBC last night, but I was told that there wasn't any network problem in my area. We ran through some test, including getting rid of the router and just connect the cable modem to one of my computers. However, that didn't work even if we created a simple new connection with PPPoE setting (username and password). So I was told that there was a line problem (?), and they promised to have someone to check my line. But the time has passed and the line has been checked but the problem still persists.

I tried logging into my email using the username and password and it works fine. So I don't think it's related to username and password. And also the security log makes me suspect that something is wrong with my router, since i keep seeing "PPPoE send PADI" and this process is repeating again and again.

Please shed some light..

Big Thanks! :tazz:

Ray

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hey

I hate to tell ya, but SBC is full of it. From what appears in the log, there is a disruption in the connection. PADI = PPPoE Active Discovery Initiation

You can try and reset your modem if you have that option. Check the cable modems web site, see if there are any updates. Search their support forums. If that does not work then, yes SBC does have a problem. Call them again and ask them to escalate it, research it or whatever their process is, and NOT SAY NO PROBLEM JUST BECAUSE THEY DON"T KNOW>>ask to speak with a supervisor if you have to. The reality is they may not even be aware of it, unless enough people start screamin'

Let me know how you make out

Edited by brianmil0923, 29 September 2005 - 11:03 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right...just like any phone company....it's not their problem untill you threaten to switch companies....bellsouth deleted one of my frame relay circuits (the one that controls my site to site vpn) and swore up and down it wasn't a problem on their end....checked the line...well of course the line was fine....said "well i guess i'm switching to AT&T".....they said "OH sorry sir.....seems someone deleted that circuit"......still switched to AT&T

xrayion

xrayion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
You guys are right ... it's my ISP's problem !!

I was so mad at their service... they finally told me it's a network problem in my area.... but they refused to call that as an outage since their definition of outage means "10 or more people are affected".

I went thru 1 1/2 hrs of test with the first tech support the night before, and I was so convinced that the tricks she was trying wouldn't work. However, the tech support was claiming that if I don't follow the steps she suggested, they don't have to help me.

Overall, this is my first really bad experience with SBC internet services in almost 4 years. However, it's bad enough to make me considering switching.

Thanks all !!!!! Really appreciate for your responses !! :tazz:

All Happy Now,
Ray