Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor afflicted by adware or trojan?

• Please log in to reply

Zazapalooza

Zazapalooza

• Pip
  • 4 posts
For the past two days I have been going in circles looking for the culprit to this little gem. My new flatpanel LED display "blinks out" from time to time. I thought it was a hardware issue but it won't do this running in safe mode. I am currently running in Safe Mode with Networking just to send this out. I checked all sorts of graphic adjustments, power savers, and ran the following battery of tests;

Ad-Aware SE Personal
CCleaner
AntiVir XP
Microsoft Anti Spyware
Spybot - Search & Destroy
Hijack This

Now everytime I click on something, run something or the HD is accessed I get black outs for a fraction of a second. Sooo.... there is something software related that tries very hard to do something to my display.

Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It will run in safe mode as it doesn't use the graphic card drivers

You should re-install or update those

Did you get a software CD with the monitor

Is it shown in device manager as default / plug and play or the make and model of monitor

Zazapalooza

Zazapalooza

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
This monitor has ran for months with "plug and play" monitor drivers installed, yes somewhere I have the CD that came with the device. I just went to Ewido and ran their online virus scan and it detected two virus and removed them. Seems to be more stable now, only one black out since rebooting. The black outs are definitaly somekind of internet malware. Since if I don't type or click the mouse the display is fine. I plan to run the Ewido trial offer scan now and see if detects anymore. The two found were DigitalBrillant and Classloader.J I plan to reinstall my graphics drivers too.

Another thing to mention is the black outs occur most frequent when I run any virus scanner.

Sytem Info:
T1140 E-Machine
Intel Celeron 1.1 Ghz
256 MB
Nvidia GE Force 4 MX 4000
64 MB
Monitor Info:
Balance 17 inch LCD
Model: CM2017

While typing this the black outs have increased with each mouse click or scroll. :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check the graphics drivers, if possible from the manufacturer's site to get the most recent

If you want to eliminate malware from the equation

Please go here:

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

Zazapalooza

Zazapalooza

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
After I ran clean up the flicker has stopped for now. But it remains a mystery as to what I actually was infected with. As the clean up utility ran the blinking increased as if it was trying real hard to stay. Then about half way though it stopped and since the reboot has not returned. If it returns I will post in the malware forum, since it seems to be non-hardware related.

Thanks
:tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know