Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot create shortcuts on desktop (XP)

• Please log in to reply

wjc05sti

wjc05sti

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok guys, I have another weird problem with a user that I can't figure out.

When the user tries to create a shortcut from the Program Files by right clicking the application, the user receives the following error:

"Windows could not create the shortcut. Check to see if the disk is full"

Checked the disk, it is nowhere near full.
If I try to create the shortcut by simply dragging the application from the Program Files onto the desktop, the following error appears:

"Error moving file or folder. Cannot move Microsoft Word: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use"

The disk is not write protected and the file is not in use. If I log into the user's machine with the Administrator account, I can create the shortcuts with no problems at all. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

If I log into the user's machine with the Administrator account, I can create the shortcuts with no problems at all.  Thanks in advance.

View Post

That's pretty much the answer right there. the user has restricted certain privleges to the administrator.

wjc05sti

wjc05sti

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I don't understand you. The user has full administrative rights on the PC. If I log her into another PC she is able to create shortcuts with no problem at all.

wjc05sti

wjc05sti

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Finally figured it out. Apparently the user was not in the security settings for her user profile. She had no access to anything. Added her and the problem was solved. Thank you for your help.

stallionsims

stallionsims

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Finally figured it out.  Apparently the user was not in the security settings for her user profile.  She had no access to anything.  Added her and the problem was solved.  Thank you for your help.

View Post

Hi,
What do you mean by this?And where did you change the security settings.
Could you please explain?
Thanx in advance!

wjc05sti

wjc05sti

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Under C:\documents ans settings\user\desktop\

She was not in the security settings of the desktop folder. I added her and gave her Full Control.