Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP shutdown problem

• Please log in to reply

crazyguitarchik

crazyguitarchik

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi, I had the exaclty the same problem and it did occur after I had changed some registry files in the attempt to speed up shutdown and boot times. I did however made a restore point before i did this and so now it is fixed.

Try system restore if none of the registry fixes work for you. I know there is another speed up tweak that could be causing the problem:

This reg tweak disables your pagefile from being cleared. It might not be a good idea if you keep a lot of passwords stored on your computer.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

Change the value of ClearPageFileAtShutdown to 0. Close the Registry, and restart your computer.

This tweak deals with setting the amount of time Windows will take to kill open applications on shutdown.

'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\'
'WaitToKillAppTimeout' value to 20000.

changes the same settings, this time for all users on the system:

'HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop'
'WaitToKillAppTimeout' value to be 20000 and
'HungAppTimeout' value to be 5000.

Hope it's some help!

Edited by crazyguitarchik, 30 September 2005 - 12:06 PM.

Advertisements

Baller

Baller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
THX so much for ur help but anyways the settings that u told me to change were already set. If anyone has anymore suggestions would be a big help! :tazz:

Baller

Baller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I dont know should i upgrade my windows...Maybe the the problem will be fixed? Any suggestions?

crazyguitarchik

crazyguitarchik

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
When did this problem start occurring? Did you install, update or download anything?

Sometimes driver updates like your graphics card sometimes does this to your computer.

Make sure all your drivers are up to date but if this occurred after you updated, try rolling back.