Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No audio hardware is available?

• Please log in to reply

cindyanddave

cindyanddave

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello
When I try to play a CD it says no audio hardware is available. I also got a message of no sound card at some point. I don't know how long it has been like this. I also don't have any yellow! next to anything to tell me there is a problem. I tried using the troubleshooting but I couln't follow it because things I were supposed to click on were not there.
If someone could point me in the right direction.
I have windows Xp.
Thanks
Cindy

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If there's no yellow exclamation-mark against anything in Device Manager, and Windows is telling you it can find no audio hardware, it does sound (sorry, no pun intended!) like the sound-card or sound-chip inside the system box has 'died'. If it was simply a missing sound-driver, Windows would still be able to detect the hardware and would prompt you for the driver every time you started Windows. Since this is not happening, I suspect the hardware is dead. Only way to be sure is borrow a known working sound-card (plus the driver disc) and install that. If the borrowed one works, you can be sure you need to buy a new one of your own.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if it's an onboard sound card it may have been disabled in bios, you may also be able to update your chipset drivers...though all of this is dependant on the hardware physically working

cindyanddave

cindyanddave

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok I was wrong (there's a first time for everything) I have several issues (!) in the device manager:
under other devices
multimedia audio controller-
office jet 6100 (which every time i turn on the computer it reinstalls itself
PCI simple comm. controler (what is that?)

I tried putting in some dell cds in but I dont know what to do I was hitting reinstall but it said it was already there.
the device driver rollback is not solving the problem either.

Help!
Cindy

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
go to the dell site and find the downloads page, put in the model number or service tag and try to get the multimedia audio controller driver, that will fix the audio,
you need to set up that office jet correctly with the cd they ggave you

and...wel li don't know what that pci device is...is your printer somehow plugged into a pci card?

cindyanddave

cindyanddave

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Im not getting anywhere. I coulnt find the downloads I need on the dell site so i started looking at all the cds I have and I reistalled the broadcom driver that is missing but it still isnt seeing it, its there but why isnt my computer recognizing it?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
get the chipset driver from dell, i have a feeling that you may have an onboard sound card

cindyanddave

cindyanddave

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Whats chipset? I do have onboard sound, its a dimension 2400, 2 years old.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
I think this might be the page that you want

click