Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't Backup Files

• Please log in to reply

Coryan

Coryan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
When I use software (Pinnacle) to backup my files or try to copy the files in Windows Explorer, I get an error message. The Explorer message says, "Cannot create or replace <filename>: The disk is write-protected. Remove the write-protection or use another disk." Pinnacle's backup program gives me the following error, "Backup has been cancelled. Error creating the backup archive."

I thought the problem was the CD Drive, but I am able to burn music disks from iTunes with no problem at all.

Here are some additional facts:

Operating System: Windows XP
CDs: New CD-R and CD-RW (tried both, same problems)

I really need your help...thank you for any advice you can offer.

Coryan

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Only the CD-RW will be able to burn cd backups. Exactly how did you try to copy the files in XP? (Sorry, I'm not familiar with the other software Pinnacle) Did you highlight the files you want and click "copy these files" to the cd-rw drive? If so, a little icon pops up in the notification area (bottom right of your screen) that shows files ready to be burned. (These temp file icons appear transparent) Did you highlight those and click "write these files to cd"? Did the cd spin before you got the error message?

Johanna

Coryan

Coryan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your reply. I have tried to copy files from my harddrive to a CD-RW through Windows Explorer. I have simply dragged the file(s) to the D: drive icon and dropped them to copy....no luck. I have also right clicked and used the "Send To" command, same problem. Each time I get a message saying that the disk is "write-protected". I have tried numerous disks from various manufacturers. The CD does not spin before the message appears. The message appears instantely after I tell it to copy.

I know that the steps I am taking should work as I do this all the time on my work computer. I have no idea why it is telling me that my disks are "write protected". As I said, the only way I can write to a CD is when I create a music CD through iTunes. Backup programs and copying files through Windows always gives me a error.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
are you logged in as an administrator?

Coryan

Coryan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, I am logged in as the adminstrator.