Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Please...BIG PROBLEM!

• Please log in to reply

tip-c

tip-c

• Pip
  • 5 posts
i have a problem, i really have no clue what is wrong!

i tried to reinstall windows because my laptop was starting to run slowly because of all the junk that was on it.
so i proceed to reinstall windows
it reformats my Hard drive and then restarts my computer

next thing i know i get an error msg....

PXE-E61: Media Test Failure
PXE-M0F: exiting intel boot agent

it tells me to insert boot disk and press any key to continue
i insert XP CD and same msg apears...it really doesnt want to do anything..i feel like im really going no where

WHAT CAN I DO??? please HELP

by the way i have a TOSHIBA SATELITE laptop

THX

Edited by tip-c, 29 September 2005 - 07:46 PM.

Advertisements

Alopeke

Alopeke

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hey there, thats a toughy but here is something to try first. Please let us know how this went.

Enter the BIOS of your Toshiba laptop. If I recall correctly you hit ESC to clear the boot logo and press F1 to enter setup. Once you have done that locate the screen that has the boot order. It will list CD-Rom, HDD, Floppy, etc... Look for an option called Network Boot or something similar. Move that option as far down the list as possible or disable it completely. Make sure you save all settings and exit. If that doesn't work try going back into the BIOS and disable your network adapter. I believe this error may be happening because it wants to boot off the network.

Try this and let us know how it goes.

tip-c

tip-c

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok heres what i did

Boot Priority: HDD>FDD>CDROM>LAN
Network boot protocol: PXE

and theres another option concerning the LAN:
PCI LAN
Built in Lan: ENABLED

but when i disable it it just dsnt display the eror anymore, it just tells me to insert boot disk and press anykey, so i do as it says and still same msg, to insert boot disk and press any key, could it be that theres something wrong with my CD DRIVE?

Alopeke

Alopeke

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Try moving the CD Rom to the first boot priority. On my system I have it as follows

CD-ROM
HDD
FLOPPY

That will have it look at the CD-Rom first before the HDD and if the CD-Rom is bootable it will boot off of that CD. If using restore CDs provided by Toshiba make sure you have the first disc of the series in there. I've made that mistake myself and wasted a whole hour trying to figure out why it wouldn't boot off of the CD. D'oh

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi tip-c...Welcome to G2G!

These errors occur when your machine can't "find" a boot device and looks for one on a network.

The first thing to check would be the BIOS settings...make sure the First Boot Device is the cd-rom drive, the Second is HDD (IDE 0), and the Third is the floppy (If present). If you end up making any changes to the settings, be sure to save them...usually by pressing F10.

A bad cd-rom can cause this problem as can loose cables and/or bent pins at the conector. Double check all your cables.

Let me know what you find...

wannabe1

tip-c

tip-c

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i have checked and i am using first disk in series for the toshiba start up disk

tried putting cd rom in first position no change

and i made shure theat i save the options i change in bios

but still no luck :tazz:
im starting to lose hope :)

CD Rom drive....sounds like its working hard to read disk ?!
dont know why...

Edited by tip-c, 29 September 2005 - 08:26 PM.

Alopeke

Alopeke

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I checked with Toshiba's support site and other sources on Google. If the above mentioned tips did not resolve it there may be a problem with the hard drive in the laptop. Others out there have mentioned checking to make sure that the HDD is correctly connected and secure in the laptop.

Don't give up hope. At this stage there isn't really anything that is majorly wrong with the laptop. It's a matter of tracking down the culprit. I will keep searching and see if there is any other tips. To help narrow it down what is the series model number of your Toshiba Satellite laptop?

tip-c

tip-c

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Toshiba Satelite 2410

tip-c

tip-c

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok i have made some advances...
i made a bunch of XP BOOT DISKS....6 actualy
it is suposed to start windows instalation and it does...
i went tru all 6 and after it prompts me to insert windows CD so i do so...
it tells me the disk or cd you have inserted may be damaged press enter to try again

i dont understand
could it be theres a problem with the CD DRIVE

Alopeke

Alopeke

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Does it actually start the Windows XP Installation process but then fail error reading disc?

You could try to download a bootable Linux CD like Knoppix (available at Knoppix.org) and see if it boots and runs off of that. If it doesn't it may still be a configuration error in the BIOS or a problem with the CD drive.

One more thing you could try. I'm not sure where this is at in your BIOS but try LOAD FAIL SAFE DEFAULTS. That will change the BIOS settings into a configuration designed for dissaster recovery and usually makes it boot off the CD as a priority.

I'll be back on tomorrow evening. Good luck!