Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory Timings and Settings Suggestions

• Please log in to reply

roostermilk

roostermilk

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
The problems I am having occurs when playing RAM intensive games such as BF2 or HL2 (demo). Normally the problems result in CTD. I am aware that it is common for BF2 to crash, but I havn't found anyone with my same problem with HL2. I am about 80% sure this is RAM related and 20% sure it is HDD related.

Reasons I think it is RAM related:

1) I set my memory timings to auto and I blue screened at XP.

2) HL2 gives datacache.dll as source of crash.

3) Memtest doesn't like my memory when it is set at auto.

4) When playing with memory settings I usually end up blue screening with a page_fault_in_nonpaged_area message.

Reaons I think it is HDD related:

1) Windows XP and drivers are on the Maxtor Drive and the games I am CTDing are on the Raptor. (not sure if this is a problem)

I don't think I have faulty hardware, as I have removed them and cleaned them of any dust particle, and they run fine by themselves. I never have any problems unless running these particular games. I havn't tried any other recent games that are ram intensive like these, but I hope someone can point me in the right direction at least. If you have similar specs, please help me out with memory timing, because I believe this is the problem.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi roostermilk! Welcome to G2G!

I suggest you get the Ultimate Boot CD and run the memtest and cpu burn and hard drive utilities that are on it. This should help you narrow down the cause of the problem that you are having.

Post back here after you have run the tests.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 29 September 2005 - 09:54 PM.

roostermilk

roostermilk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'll try that later when I have time. I'm going to post my specs.... forgot to.

ASUS A8V Deluxe
2 x 512 pc3200 Dual Chan Corsair
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice
NVidia 6800gt 256MB
Maxtor Diamondmax 10 250GB 16MB Cache
Western Digital Raptor 10000rpm 74GB SATA

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Alright that's it. You have a better computer then I do so no more helping you!!

:tazz: :) :)

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

3) Memtest doesn't like my memory when it is set at auto.

Try the memory test in my signature.

roostermilk

roostermilk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Alright that's it.  You have a better computer then I do so no more helping you!!

:tazz:  :)  :)

View Post

ha. :) I just got back from a long night, was playing some football, so I'l try al the suggestions thanks.

EDIT:

I had another thought. I am running Windows XP SP1 and I don't run updates. There may be a Windows memory leak I need to patch.... anyone know of a problem like this.. cuz I'l start updating. adios.

Edited by roostermilk, 01 October 2005 - 11:13 AM.

roostermilk

roostermilk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
everything seems to be checking out ok.... hmm... i dont think it's a hardware issue.

EDIT: I am bringing home a copy of HL2 today, I'm going to try it out and see what happens.

Edited by roostermilk, 01 October 2005 - 03:32 PM.