Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CRAP I NEED HELP! wininet.dll CRAP!

• Please log in to reply

gerald.janda

gerald.janda

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
ummm.. i need some major help here... really... i do... i have tried numerous ways to delete, replace , expand... or whatever you wanna do with it file.. wininet.dll
i have tried lookin it up and downloading it from other sites... not working... i have gone on here.. and it seemed that someone else had the same problem but was not confirmed if he tried any of the things he was told... I TRIED all of those things because my comps symptoms are the same... i am able to get on the user account page at startup... then i click on my account... it tells me that there is a wininet.dll error that i need to replace it or fix it.... or something... and then it just gives the background and nothing else... no icons... then i tried to go SAFE MODE... not to safe.. it looks kinda scary... just has safe mode in the 4 corners and then... nothing.. BLACK SCREEN... i am able to type this through DOS via task manager... and i dont know how much longer i can stand this... i have tried like i said to get my OS disk and replace the old wininet.dll with the new one... wininet.dl_ and other ways that i know and have seen on here... but nothing is working... please help me out... i am jobless.. and i really need to get my comp working to find one... thanks... sincerely... GERALD...

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
When you replaced the wininet.dll file with the wininet.dl_ file on the cd, did you RENAME the file from wininet.dl_ to wininet.dll?

To solve this, I went to the Recovery Console, copied the wininet.dl_ file from the cd to C:\Windows\System32. Then I deleted the wininet.dll file and then i renamed the wininet.dl_ file to wininet.dll and everything worked fine. This computer was infected with a virus that made Norton go absolutely ballistic, popping up a window every minute saying that wininet.dll was infected but could do nothing about it.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 29 September 2005 - 09:48 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Another thing you can try if that doesn't work is a Repair Installation of windows. Don't worry all your programs will still work and it won't delete any of your files or settings, it only restores the operating system files to their original state. You will need to do all Windows Updates again after doing this.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Another note, I noticed that PSGuard was still hanging around even after I fixed the wininet.dll file. Post a thread in the Malware Forum about removing PSGuard and one of the experts there will be able to help you out.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 29 September 2005 - 10:28 PM.

gerald.janda

gerald.janda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
hey fenor thanks very much man.. i appreciate it.. i am in the process now of revampin the comp... but in a good way... ya know... no deletin.. just weeding out... thanks for the quick response.. i read a couple of other people with the same problem... and i ran some programs and of course went in to DOS mostly is where all the work was done... and next thing ya know... aquick restart and BAM!!! there it is... it has only been about 30 mins since i got out of the [bleep] hole.. and i have now installed a total of 5 ANTI SPYWARE, ADWARE, VIRUS, freakin everything you can imagine ANTI... on to the comp... it is much needed now adays... thanks much.... Gerald

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
http://noahdfear.geekstogo.com/

This tool will locate a good copy of the wininet file and restore it, and dump all your temps. Print out the instructions.

Johanna

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Gerald I had a look around and I see that you are having more than one problem in the XP forum but have not posted a HiJack This log could you please Read This and then post in the Malware Forum, not here. Once they say you are clean come back here and we will help you with what you need. (I have put this in all his questions because I think they have the same cause)