Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Set XP as route

• Please log in to reply

efriend

efriend

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz:
I have two compute: one runing on XP, one runing on Linux and one High Speed Internet Modem.

there are two ethernet cards on XP:
- one connected to Modem with IP ( 192.168.2.10),
- the other cards connected to the my Linux computer with IP (10.100.1.1)
from XP, I can ping Modem 192.168.2.1 and linux 10.100.1.14
from Linux, I ping XP 10.100.1.1 and 192.168.2.10 but I can't ping
Modem 192.168.2.1

it seems XP not really acting as a route. IP ROUTING is enabled
by setting registry IPEnableRouter to 1.

Any advises are really appreciated.

Qijia

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
It looks as if you are doing this the hard way. You are set up on 2 different subnets also. The IP routing is working because you would not be able to ping from an address of 10.x.y.z to 192.168.x.y without something to route the pings because those are 2 totally separate subnets. I suggest running the network setup wizard on the xp machine and make sure that you configure that computer at the one with the connection to the internet. Also make sure to share that connection so the pc knows that another pc is going to connect to the internet though that computer. Next step is on the Linux machine. I do not know how to set up a network on that machine, but basically you need to configure it to receive an address via DHCP. The dhcp server address will be the address of the network card that is in the xp machine (192.168.0.1) that connects to the linux pc. That's it make sure your firewall is configured correctly and I believe you need the tcp/netbios helper service turned on in windows because Linux uses netbios I believe.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

efriend

efriend

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks a lot!
by your instruction, I run Network Wizard on my XP router. the XP automatically
set the secord card to 192.168.0.1. To get your better support, I boot my linux machine
into XP Pro as well. I also run Network Wizard on my new XP and set to dynamic IP
and DNS. my new XP machine automatically obtains IP as 192.168.0.2.
now from my new XP, I am able to ping my modem ( 192.168.2.1), actually on my new
XP, I am able to resolve all the domain name and FTP to any public FTP server site.
but the wired thing is from my new XP, I can't access any web site
except the HTTP page on my modem, not any further HTTP page.

all network services are shared including HTTP.
what could be the problem?

Thanks,
Qijia

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Sounds like a DNS problem. Try typing in 216.239.37.99 in the address bar of your browser. If you get to Google, then you have a DNS problem. Check in your network connection properties and make sure your DNS server's address is in there correctly. To check for the right address, go to the machine that can access websites and check it's DNS server address and put the same one in on the pc that is not accessing websites.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz: