Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM ACCELERATION AND OVERALL PERFORMANCE

• Please log in to reply

gerald.janda

gerald.janda

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
hello ladies and gentlemen.. i come to you to find out if you all can help me with some issues that i have sincce recovering from a deadly VIRUS(on my comp) or may be it was spyware... i dont know who cares... its gone now.. and the problem is solved... anyways... i wanna know HOW DO I INCREASE THE SPEED of my INTERNET and just OVERALL my COMPUTER... i run a 2.66 ghz processor P4 .... it has a 512 ram... this is my wifes computer... but i am making it better... but dont know how... please help me... any other info you need to speed this BABY up... you can have.... JUST POST BACK.... anyways... please my friends... i am no COMP genius.... sincerely... gerald...

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi gerald.janda...

There are a lot of ways to tweak the speed so we'll just let everybody chime in on this one. Here's my contribution:

First, run Disk Cleanup and then Disk Defragmenter from System Tools (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools)

You could also add another stick of RAM (another 512MB would give you a noticable difference...if your system will support it)

wannabe1

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go gerald.janda!

Read This it will help. If you have any quetions about it ask them here and I will help you. What Wannabe said would help a lot too.

gerald.janda

gerald.janda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
is there a way that i can download like an accelerator to my computer??? is ther a software for that??? or you know just overall performance enhancer for my comp???

thanks...

man with slow computer,
gerald...

gerald.janda

gerald.janda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
also.. i have tried to do the tweaks like i was told... but sure enough.. when i load or restart my computer... it takes even longer now to get to even my USER ACCOUNT screen... whats the deal with that??? everything now has taken longer than before... my startup when i click my account has now gone slower... it takes so long to load and stuff... anyways... i need help... some other sort of setting enhancer or software or wahtever it is... i need help... my wife is NOT gonna like this... hehehe....

thanks guys,
gerald

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Can you tell me what Tweaks you did? You might have done them wrong.

is there a way that i can download like an accelerator to my computer??? is there a software for that???

there is software for that, but I would not use it. It would just do some of the things listed in Easy Xp Tweaks, and if something goes wrong you don't know what it was, so you can't fix it. Are you sure you don't have malware? it could be causing all sorts of problems.

gerald.janda

gerald.janda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
i did.. all the ones that you told me to do on that page mister buckley... it had i think like 15 to 20 of them... but man.. my start up on my comp is still so SLOW... and then just... my comp i feel is just not how it uaed to be... 4 days ago before i got hit with some sort of spyware... or adware... or virus.. or whatever took out my wininet.dll thing out... and would not let me start the comp... anyways... my comp is still slow... so please help....

gerald :tazz:

Emery Herman

Emery Herman

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
You could download TweakXP. A program that helps you make your machine faster.

Also a trial version of Tune-Up utilities. Also a great program for optimizing, tuning and customizing your windows machine to your needs.

gerald.janda

gerald.janda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
i have tried tweak XP and man let me tell you... it sucks i think... my web wasn't displaying correctly.... when i played CS(counter-strike) all the people looked funny... it was just a hastle man... but htanks.. imma try the other one though...
thanks...
gerald...

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Gerald I had a look around and I see that you are having more than one problem in the XP forum but have not posted a HiJack This log could you please Read This and then post in the Malware Forum, not here. Once they say you are clean come back here and I will help you with what you need.