Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win32 Nsag - serious problems after removal!

• Please log in to reply

Hugh J

Hugh J

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Forgive me if this post is simplistic - I'm a bit out of date...

I had a Win32 Nsag infection which infected my wininet.dll file, stopping Explorer from starting up (this I discovered after running an AVG scan).

In an attempt to fix this, I renamed wininet.dll and copied an old version of the file from my other hard drive into the system32 folder.

When I rebooted, Explorer started up but then the system just hung - about the only thing that'd work was Task Manager. I surfed the net and found a post saying that I should rename the infected file and wait a few moments, then a fresh, uninfected wininet.dll file would appear.

So... I renamed the file I'd just copied over from my other hard drive, and waited. Sure enough, a new wininet.dll file appeared.

So now I had 3 wininet files - the original infected file, renamed wininetOLD COPY.dll; the file I'd copied over - wininetCOPY.dll, and a new wininet.dll.

I rebooted again and Explorer started up. This time it didn't hang, but instead kept refreshing every 3 seconds or so.

And that's what it's still doing - I can't run system restore because the screen refreshes every 3 seconds, wiping off anything I'm trying to do on Explorer. If I try to run a program from the Start menu it hangs...

I'm not sure what to do now. I can't help thinking that if I'd just read the post in the first place instead of copying over wininet.dll from my old hard drive this wouldn't have happened! Can anybody help?

System:
Windows XP Professional (SP2)
AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (running at half speed because of a cooling problem)
512MB RAM
GE7N400 Pro2 motherboard
ATI All-in-Wonder 9800 video card

Advertisements